iPhone Simulator Not Working After Upgrade from Expo 37 -> 38

  1. SDK Version: 38

I followed the instructions here - Expo SDK 38 is now available - DEV Community πŸ‘©β€πŸ’»πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» and upgraded expo SDK 37 to 38.

I have not been able to use my ios simulator since the upgrade.

Attempts to fix the issue -

I cleared all caches - Yarn, Watchman, Expo.
I reinstalled the expo client on the simulator.
I removed and reinstalled all node modules.

When debug remote js is off

When debug remote js is on - I get stuck at loading 100%. The app will not move to the home screen. I’ve been using expo for almost 2 years now so I’ve taken all of the steps I’d normally take to fix the issue. I also have no debuggers enabled in code right now.

1 Like

hey there! are you using the latest version of expo-cli?

Hey, I am -

I am still having issues if debug remote js is off, but was able to get things working again with the it on.

Really weird - I deactivated breakpoints on the chrome console, and hard refreshed a few times and it fixed itself.

My simulator isn’t seeing this issue. However, I am having trouble opening the developer menu with command + D. Also, command + R doesn’t seem to be refreshing most of the time in the iOS simulator.

expo diagnostics:

  Expo CLI 3.21.13 environment info:
      OS: macOS 10.15.5
      Shell: 5.7.1 - /bin/zsh
      Node: 14.2.0 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v14.2.0/bin/node
      Yarn: 1.22.4 - ~/.yarn/bin/yarn
      npm: 6.14.4 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v14.2.0/bin/npm
      Xcode: 11.5/11E608c - /usr/bin/xcodebuild
      expo: ~38.0.1 => 38.0.7 
      react: ~16.11.0 => 16.11.0 
      react-dom: ~16.11.0 => 16.11.0 
      react-native: https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-38.0.0.tar.gz => 0.62.2 
      react-native-web: ~0.11.7 => 0.11.7 
      expo-cli: 3.21.13

I also had this issue. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t. But now I figured out that it is activated by shaking the device.

If you want to shake the simulator you could use ^ + CMD+ Z.

Same here.
While I’m doing fetch in simulator, it gets β€œNot Found”, but work find with device.

$ expo diagnostics

  Expo CLI 3.22.3 environment info:
      OS: macOS 10.15.3
      Shell: 5.7.1 - /bin/zsh
      Node: 10.16.3 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v10.16.3/bin/node
      npm: 6.14.6 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v10.16.3/bin/npm
      Android Studio: 3.5 AI-191.8026.42.35.5977832
      Xcode: 10.3/10G8 - /usr/bin/xcodebuild
      expo: ^38.0.0 => 38.0.8 
      react: 16.11.0 => 16.11.0 
      react-native: https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-38.0.2.tar.gz => 0.62.2 
      expo-cli: 3.22.3

Update: works after I upgraded my xcode to 11.6. :tada:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.