Error with iOS Location Permissions simulator build: It's always permissions.

npx expo -v 0.7.3, eas-cli -v 3.16.0
react-native-permissions -v ^3.8.4
Requesting Location permissions on iOS Simulator Build, trying to run it locally on my Mac

On startup after deploying an eas cloud ios simulator build it immediately errors:

No permission handler detected.

Check that you added at least one permission handler in your package.json reactNativePermissionsIOS config.

Hello! I am attempting to get my first eas build, a weather app that uses location services on an ios simulator build created in the eas cloud, running locally. The process seems to work and I install it on my iOS 16.4 simulator but it immediately errors.

I have checked and the NSLocationAlwaysAndWhenInUseUsageDescription key is in the info.plist that’s output from the build.

Here is a snippet of my app.json

"plugins": [
      [
        "expo-location",
        {
          "locationAlwaysAndWhenInUsePermission": "Allow $(PRODUCT_NAME) to use your location."
        }
      ]
    ],
    "assetBundlePatterns": ["**/*"],
    "ios": {
      "supportsTablet": true,
      "bundleIdentifier": "com.jonlind",
      "infoPlist": {
        "NSLocationAlwaysAndWhenInUseUsageDescription": "This app uses the user's location to send notifications about weather nearby."
      }
    },

After much hunting and people casually referencing “add reactNativePermissionsIOS array to your package.json” I added this to my package.json manually. Here is a snippet of my package.json

"reactNativePermissionsIOS": [
    "LocationAccuracy",
    "LocationAlways",
    "LocationWhenInUse"
  ],
  "devDependencies": { ... },
  "private" : true,
}

No matter what I do it immediately errors out when I run it. I was surprised that there wasn’t a whole lot on this topic. There is an XKCD comic about how lonely it feels when it turns out you and denvercoder are apparently the only ones experiencing this problem!

O.K., I figured it out. It was a combination of two solutions.

First, following the process of configuring react-native-permissions, where you have to edit the package.json, run react-native setup-ios-permissions and then re-run pod-install, as described at react-native-permissions - npm (npmjs.com).

Second, it still was behaving the same so I had the radical idea to actually follow the instructions in the error message and deleted the DerivedData folder as described in ios - Xcode derived data location - Stack Overflow.

That was it!

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.