"EAS Update is not yet publicly available"

I’m running Expo SDK v44 managed workflow and the latest version of eas-cli (eas-cli/0.42.4 darwin-arm64 node-v16.13.0). I’m getting this error:

$ eas update --branch preview --message ""
✔ Linked to project [redacted]
    CombinedError: [GraphQL] EAS Update is not yet publicly available.

eas.json looks like this:

{
  "cli": {
    "version": ">= 0.37.0"
  },
  "build": {
    "preview": {
      "distribution": "internal",
      "channel": "preview"
    },
    "production": {
      "channel": "production"
    }
  },
  "submit": {
    "production": {
      "ios": {
        "ascAppId": "[redacted]"
      }
    }
  }
}

I’m on the Production plan. I thought EAS Update was available now?

Unfortunately I have the same problem now. Any updates?

@zainy and @chrisweiss

If you’re on the “Production” plan then you should (according to the pricing page) have access to “Preview EAS Update”. If you do not, check the owner field in your app.json is set to the “Production plan” user. If that’s correct, then maybe try sending mail to secure@expo.dev

Hello, I am on the free plan. As I understood this is now also available in the free plan? Also I did builds and updates already with eas. For some reason today it doesn’t work.
owner field is still the correct one as before.

edit:
Now I see eas update is not in the free tier list. I guess for now I use the expo publish again with the old expo build, as I think you cannot use eas build with expo publish together, right?
The documentation for that is a bit confusing to me…

1 Like

No, you should be able to use EAS Build together with expo publish.

From the documentation it says you should be able to use expo publish with EAS build together… but from my experience it does not actually work.

eas build --platform qa --profile qa

Then

expo publish --release-channel qa 

Does not OTA the app. Am I doing something wrong here?

• do you have releaseChannel specified in qa build profile in eas.json?
  • did you installed expo-updates package ?

I am not very updated about EAS Update but if you do want to send an OTA update, then an eas build is not enough. There needs to be an expo publish on the same channel.

@wkozyra @wodin

Hey. Can you please assist me on telling me if there’s a service in expo which we can pay for an in return expo would create builds for us and even public the code to app stores?

The Expo team provides build servers that you can use to build your app, but they do not, as far as I know, have a service where they will run the eas build command on your behalf.

Maybe try one of these companies: