Unable to Run iOS Simulator

Hi,

I am unable to launch to the iOS simulator from the DevTools. I recently updated my xCode version to 10.2 and whenever I run the simulator, it gives me this error message:

“Simulator not installed. Please visit Sign In - Apple to download Xcode and the iOS simulator. If you already have the latest version of Xcode installed, you may have to run the command sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode.app.”

I ran the command as well as restarted everything and still gets the same error message. I am only able to get pass the error when I manually start the simulator then run iOS simulator from the DevTools.

It was all working fine before the update. I also tried to search for possible solutions but can’t seem to find one.

Same error here. Since todays xcode Update continous errors with the ios simulator.

Hey @kennethdacallos and @theforeignoffice,

I just updated my version of Xcode and had some trouble running a simulator as well. But was able to fix it in the Simulator by going to “Hardware” → “Erase All Content and Settings”

It will then install the Expo Client app, and proceed to open your app. Let me know if this works for you guys!

3 Likes

Hi @charliecruzan,

I followed your advice but still gets the same error message. Any other ideas on how to fix this?

Hi, exact same problem here for launching simulator from Expo after @charliecruzan soluition (did not work).

Simulator not installed. Please visit https://developer.apple.com/xcode/download/ to download Xcode and the iOS simulator. If you already have the latest version of Xcode installed, you may have to run the command `sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode.app`.

When I manually launch simulator (12.2) from Xcode (10.2), with Expo (2.13), it tried to download Expo app on the simulator and fail :

Error running `xcrun simctl install booted /Users/guillaumerz/.expo/ios-simulator-app-cache/Exponent-2.10.0.app`: An error was encountered processing the command (domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain, code=22):
Failed to install the requested application
The bundle identifier of the application could not be determined.
Ensure that the application's Info.plist contains a value for CFBundleIdentifier.

14:14
Error installing or running app. Error: Process exited with non-zero code: 22

I solutionned the fact that the simulator can install the expo app (by deleting ~/.expo/ios-simulator-app-cache/) however, the simulator is still, not launching.

After restart my MacBook, the simulator can be launch just ONE time (if you close it, you can not reopen via devTools, only with Xcode).

@kennethdacallos, @theforeignoffice, @guillaumerz

For now a temporary fix is to have the Simulator already open, and then attempt to open the app with the Sim already running. (Basically, just run open -a Simulator before expo start)

I’m still looking into what’s causing the root issue, I’ll keep you guys posted here.

Also- there’s an issue at the React Native repo for this, can follow it here

4 Likes

@charliecruzan

guess that’s the only workaround for now aside from using an actual device. Thanks a lot for the help and info.

I have got the message today after restarting my laptop it has worked

1 Like

I ran into this same issue yesterday and resolved it by using the command mentioned in the error message. See: Expo, "Simulator Not Installed!" Me, "Oh, but it is!" · Issue #1203 · expo/expo · GitHub

@kennethdacallos, @guillaumerz, @theforeignoffice,

This has been fixed with the most recent Mac software update (10.14.4). You can see a more detailed reply here, if you’re interested in why the Simulator wasn’t opening as expected.

Thanks everyone for your patience!

Thank you for keeping us updated ! It definitely works !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.