I need guidance on what DB to use

Quick Summary
To learn I’m building a workout application and I want users to be able to set goals, log their workouts, and take progress pictures for comparison. I also want to run machine learning later on my data points.

DB in mind
Lets assume that this app will grow to a lot of users with a lot of workout logs. I’m torn between using postgres, mongodb, or Realm. The users workout logs will be very detailed and I don’t understand on how would pulling specific data to run ML on it would work. As of right now I’m using firebase for authentication I’m using Firebase and storing the pictures as the guides were posted online.

expo info:
expo v42
managed
Redux for my state management.

If it’s a noob or a bad question I’m sorry. I just don’t know where to ask this as I’ve done my research and still torn.

Hi

Unfortunately this is not the best place to ask your question. Maybe somewhere like https://dba.stackexchange.com/ would work.

For PostgreSQL and MongoDB you’d need a backend (e.g. written in Ruby on Rails, or Django or node etc.) With Realm I think you can talk to it directly from the app, but I am not familiar with it.

1 Like

I had posted the question on there and they said not the place. I truly don’t know where else to ask.

if you want to store the data on some server, literally any db will work, and probably you should just pick whatever you’re familiar with. if you want to store the data only on the client side in your app, two options are expo-sqlite or @react-native-async-storage/async-storage. the former provides a relational database while the latter is just a key-value store. if you want to use a db as a service, then check out supabase, firebase, or aws appsync.

Thank you!