How to do "expo update/upgrade" now that global cli is going away?

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 46 - 49
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): all
  3. Add the appropriate “Tag” based on what Expo library you have a question on.

What is the recommended practice for upgrading an expo project (managed workflow) now that the global expo-cli is being phased out? The local cli says it does not support expo update or expo upgrade and to use the global expo-cli. This is working for now, but I suspect it will not for much longer (among other things the global cli says it does not work with Node 17+). I know I could manually update packages in package.json but, you know, I’d rather not. Is there a better (and more future-proof) way?

FWIW I teach a course using expo and every Fall I need to update all of my examples (several dozen) to the new version of expo since after a year they are all too old to run in Expo Go.

Hi @numerator

For now, you can do it like this:

• Install the new version of the Expo package:
    npm install expo@^49.0.0 or yarn add expo@^49.0.0
  • Upgrade all dependencies to match SDK 49:
    npx expo install --fix

But see the Expo SDK 49 release blog post for more details. Links to previous SDK release blog posts are here: Upgrade Expo SDK - Expo Documentation

Also, apparently the Expo team are working on an improvement to npx expo install --fix to also upgrade the expo package:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.