Can i use EAS Build with non-Expo App.

Before i end up down a rabbit hole i just wanted to check if this is possible at all.

Initially we built our App with React-Native as we deemed Expo (at the time) not production ready.

That said, i have heard only good things about Expo now and especially EAS.
Currently we use Firebase App Distribution with Fastlane but it’s so painful to manage and i want to use EAS Build (And EAS Update later down the line)

Is this possible?
"react-native": "0.63.2"
I have installed the latest eas-cli and expo-cli

If i could start our project again on Expo i would in a heartbeat but that’s just not possible, hoping i can use EAS for a super smooth testing/deployment pipeline.

Thanks for all our work!

Hi @maisonsport

Yes, it’s “designed to work for any native project”.

Expo SDK 43 and 44 use React Native 0.64.x, but in theory you can use other versions of React Native if your app is not a managed app.

Give it a try :slight_smile:

Also it might be feasible to switch to the managed workflow. Depending on what native dependencies you use it might be difficult, but in theory it should be possible with Config Plugins. But either way, using EAS Build and EAS Submit should be worth a try.

Thanks @wodin for your input! :slight_smile: i’m going to look further into it and see why my builds are failing. it could be a wrong react-native version. i’ll try build and updated version.

WARN read-shrinkwrap This version of npm is compatible with lockfileVersion@1, but package-lock.json was generated for lockfileVersion@2. I'll try to do my best with it!

That means that you are generating package-lock.json with npm@7 or higher, but builders have older version. Either switch to older npm locally or update npm on worker(you can specify node version in eas.json)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.