Hi, I am running a managed app which I just upgraded to SDK 49.
eas-cli/3.17.1 darwin-arm64 node-v18.17.0
My app, even tough running great locally, crashes on start when I open it from an EAS update usin the Expo Go app.
I have tried investigating it for 3 days now and couldn’t fix it.
I used XCode ‘console’ app to get the error logged when the Expo Go app is crashing.
Here are the 3 error logs I found there:
- Expo Go RangeError: Maximum call stack size exceeded (native stack depth), js engine: hermes
- Expo Go Invariant Violation: “main” has not been registered. This can happen if:
- Metro (the local dev server) is run from the wrong folder. Check if Metro is running, stop it and restart it in the current project.
- A module failed to load due to an error and
AppRegistry.registerComponentwasn’t called., js engine: hermes
- Expo Go NSInvalidArgumentException: -[EXReactAppExceptionHandler handleFatalJSExceptionWithMessage:stack:exceptionId:extraDataAsJSON:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x281fa8380
After Googling these I realized that the one I should focus on is the first one (the ‘RangeError’) since the others are just a result of it, and that the issue is probably caused by one of my dependencies failing for some reason.
Looking into that made me suspect ‘react-native-reanimated’ (because of that Github issue), so I tried downgrading back to 2.14.4 which is the previous version I used, and when I ran that locally the app crashed with the error:
TypeError: _ReanimatedModule.default.createNode is not a function (it is undefined), js engine: hermes
Followed by the same: “main” has not been registered error, so I thought it was worth mentioning.
Then I used
npx expo prebuild -p ios and ran that using XCode, which worked fine at first,
but after a few runs suddenly crashed with this:
ReanimatedError: Maximum call stack size exceeded (native stack depth). , js engine: reanimated
I also tried switching the jsEngine to JSC but all it did was giving me even less usefull error logs.
I already thought I figured it out twice now but then a day later I make a new EAS update and it crashes again, so I couldn’t even get consistency there.
I am really frustrated… would appreciate your help so much