why is expo added permissions to my bundle?

My app does not require any permissions at all, it’s a very simple deal really. But lo and behold, after building twice and checking my Ps and Qs: the file uploaded to the play store still requires permissions. I see them in the bundle explorer (please see my attached graphic). My app is still in review, I just noticed this incidentally. Something seems wrong.

Here is the result of running expo diagnostics:
Expo CLI 4.4.3 environment info:
System:
Shell: 5.8 - /bin/zsh
Binaries:
Node: 14.15.1 - /usr/local/bin/node
npm: 6.14.11 - /usr/local/bin/npm
Watchman: 4.9.0 - /usr/local/bin/watchman
Managers:
CocoaPods: 1.10.1 - /usr/local/bin/pod
SDKs:
iOS SDK:
Platforms: iOS 14.5, DriverKit 20.4, macOS 11.3, tvOS 14.5, watchOS 7.4
IDEs:
Android Studio: 4.1 AI-201.8743.12.41.7199119
Xcode: 12.5/12E262 - /usr/bin/xcodebuild
npmPackages:
expo: ~41.0.1 => 41.0.1
react: 16.13.1 => 16.13.1
react-dom: 16.13.1 => 16.13.1
react-native: https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-41.0.0.tar.gz => 0.63.2
react-native-web: ~0.13.12 => 0.13.18
npmGlobalPackages:
expo-cli: 4.4.3
Expo Workflow: managed

https://docs.expo.io/versions/latest/sdk/permissions/#managed-workflow-1

you can set android.permissions to [] in your app.json

I did that on the first submission, I absolutely knew about the “permissions”: [ }… still it gave me the result I described above. So, what else could have caused it?

When originally answering I didn’t check what permissions are listed there, most of the issues like that are because people do not know to set permissions key to empty list.

I’m not working on sdk, but it seems those permissions are minimal, can you clarify which of those permissions are the problem?

From the docs

The minimum necessary permissions do not require a Privacy Policy when uploading to Google Play Store and are:
• receive data from Internet
• view network connections
• full network access
• change your audio settings
• prevent device from sleeping 

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.