Why doe OTA updates work even though I never set it up in my app?

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 48
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): iOS
  3. Add the appropriate “Tag” based on what Expo library you have a question on.

Hey friends,

I am on the managed workflow using a custom dev client, I build and submit my app via EAS. I Just got my app approved on the app store so haven’t had a chance to try the OTA updates in production yet.

However I did notice that if I build a test production build and install it as a standalone app on my iPhone, and afterward send a OTA update via:

eas update --branch production --message 'fixing something..'

it still goes through, as in I get the update on my standalone app. Why is this the case when I never set it up following the instructions here:

The only thing I did from that link was install the expo-updates package. I didn’t do anything else like add the config plugin, the check for updates listeners, etc

I’ll need to do a OTA update on the live app soon and wanted to figure this out before attempting the actual update.

Thanks for any insight!

EDIT:

It looks like I also had this in my app.json:

updates: {
      enabled: true,
      checkAutomatically: 'ON_LOAD',
      fallbackToCacheTimeout: 0,
      url: <MY_URL>
    },

I must have forgot when I added this, so there is some set-up going on. But I still don’t have calls like Updates.checkForUpdateAsync(); anywhere in my code, so still not sure how it’s working…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.