Received an internal server error from Apple's App Store Connect

• Bare workflow
  • Eas CLI version: ^3.10.2

I’m trying to create an EAS build using the command eas build --platform ios --profile development

After logging in to my Apple Developer account I get:

Internal Server Error: 'InternalServerError', 'Received an internal server error from Apple's App Store Connect / Developer Portal servers, please try again later
This request can not be processed right now - Service not available because of maintenance activities, please try again after some time.'. Retrying after 
3 seconds (remaining: 3)

It’s a fresh project and I am sure my Apple Developer account is working since I can login in the browser. There isn’t any notice of a scheduled maintenance on ASC.

I have tried to run the command using the --clear-cache flag and have tried reinstalling eas-cli but it doesn’t change anything.

Is anyone else also having this problem? Any help or hints will be much appreciated!

Thank you

the api endpoints from app store connect are different from what you go through when signing in through the website, so that explains why you could sign in there but necessarily through the CLI.

that said, i am able to log in currently.

if you try again and this issue persists, can you try running with the EXPO_APP_STORE_DEBUG=1 environment variable set and share the output?

Hi Brent, thanks for the reply!

How can I set that environment variable? I ran

set EXPO_APP_STORE_DEBUG=1 

In my terminal but it didn’t show any different error message. It doesn’t even start the build because it can’t register the bundle identifier as it can’t seem to connect to ASC (as I mentioned it’s a new project so the provisioning profiles, certain and identifiers haven’t been setup yet)

on macos or linux, you could run EXPO_APP_STORE_DEBUG=1 eas build -p ios

on windows… i’m not sure. maybe npx cross-env EXPO_APP_STORE_DEBUG=1 eas build -p ios

1 Like

Hi Brent! Thank you for your reply, I tried that and it worked! No more issues.

it sounds like there may have been an intermittent issue on apple’s end then. all that environment variable does is enable logging

I’m not the OP, but there is a persistent error when trying to build for iOS while needing to generate a new certificate. I ran my build with the debug env variable and got this:

POST https://developer-mdn.apple.com/services-account/v1/certificates
Error: Request failed with status code 503 (POST https://developer-mdn.apple.com/services-account/v1/certificates)
-- App Store Connect Error JSON --
{
  "errors": [
    {
      "id": "e945a796-0597-4874-a6b4-f5857ef28dd9",
      "status": "503",
      "code": "SERVICE_NOTACTIVE",
      "title": "This request can not be processed right now",
      "resultCode": 10405,
      "detail": "Service not available because of maintenance activities, please try again after some time."
    }
  ]
}
-- End ASC Error JSON --

It’s been like this for at least 24 hours, I’m starting to get worried… any suggestions?

We are having the same issue by a week.

We obtain the following error when building for ios:

Internal Server Error: 'd', 'Received an internal server error from Apple's App Store Connect / Developer Portal servers, please try again later
This request can not be processed right now - Service not available because of maintenance activities, please try again after some time.'. Retrying after 3 seconds (remaining: 1)

× Failed to create Apple distribution certificate
Failed to set up credentials.
Received an internal server error from Apple's App Store Connect / Developer Portal servers, please try again later
This request can not be processed right now - Service not available because of maintenance activities, please try again after some time.
    Error: build command failed.

I was on SDK version 46 when I received my error. I’ve since updated to SDK 48, and everything worked as expected. I’m not sure if that’s the source of the problem, but I believe it to be.

I think the only real way to fix it is by generating the distribution cert directly on ASC. I think the ASC api has been having issues lately since I‘be also been having random outages.

I’ve also been having this issue for the last week. I’m getting the same error as @phacts

Error: Request failed with status code 503 (PATCH https://developer-mdn.apple.com/services-account/v1/bundleIds/W577GPU6J2)
-- App Store Connect Error JSON --
{
  "errors": [
    {
      "id": "024ec867-51ee-419c-b5e8-36943445025d",
      "status": "503",
      "code": "SERVICE_NOTACTIVE",
      "title": "This request can not be processed right now",
      "resultCode": 10405,
      "detail": "Service not available because of maintenance activities, please try again after some time."
    }
  ]
}
-- End ASC Error JSON --

I’m on SDK 48 with the latest eas-cli

@coderpr0grammer how can I add my distribution cert to expo after creating it from app store connect? eas credentials asks me for a p12. I used to understand the certificates but have since moved that out of my brain when expo started handling it for me :smile:

can you share the eas-cli version that you are using exactly?

also, how are you installing eas-cli? globally with npm? or yarn? are you using npx?

1 Like

Hi Brent, thanks for your quick reply.

I’m installing eas-cli globally with yarn.

$ which eas
/Users/pat/.config/yarn/global/node_modules/.bin/eas
$ eas --version
eas-cli/3.12.0 darwin-arm64 node-v18.15.0

I hope this helps, let me know if I can provide any other details.

I’ve installed eas-cli in the project and using it works fine. I’m able to build now.

I had further issues with the global eas, I couldn’t get past the login to ASC

✔ Logged in New session
Authentication with Apple Developer Portal failed!
Apple provided the following error info:
Service not available because of maintenance activities, please try again after some time.
    Error: build command failed.

I tried removing the login from Keychain Access and to prompt for my Apple credentials again, but would still get the above error.

Had no issues using eas-cli locally.

I have since removed eas-cli globally and re-installed it, which is now working fine.

$ yarn global remove eas-cli && yarn global add eas-cli

I hope this helps others. Sorry for the spam! :slight_smile:

You should not have it installed as a dependency of your project. It can cause problems if you do that.

I have in the past had strange issues when installing packages globally with yarn. These days, although I use yarn to manage the dependencies of my apps I use npm when installing packages globally.