Production build can't be created

I 've a build error once I am trying to create a production android build or production ios build for Stories.
I’ve expokit workflow, expo-cli 4.1.3 version, expo SDK 36
Steps which I did

1. expo eject(choosing expokit)
  2. expo publish
  3. cd android, ./gradlew clean assembleRelease
    It respond the following error

[20:02:17] Error: getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND assets
[20:02:17] Before making a release build, make sure you have run ‘expo publish’ at least once. Learn more. (​fyi/release-builds-with-expo-updates.md at main · expo/fyi · GitHub)

> Task :app:bundleReleaseExpoAssets FAILED

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

** What went wrong:*
Execution failed for task ‘:app:bundleReleaseExpoAssets’.
> Process ‘command ‘./node_modules/expokit/detach-scripts/run-exp.sh’’ finished with non-zero exit value 1

I noticed also resources were not added to the folder
android/app/build/intermediates/merged_assets/release/out

I’m having the exact same problem. Did you find a solution?

No, hbstelenet,

we did not. In fact, this is the response we got back from the Expo support… We can’t produce a Production Build, and this level is support is simply unacceptable!

ExpoKit was deprecated almost two years ago, and is no longer supported. The last SDK version compatible with ExpoKit was SDK38, and we stopped supporting SDK38 in July 2021. There’s a chance you could get Bare workflow working but you would likely still need to upgrade your SDK version for builds to be submittable to app stores, as some SDK releases have included support for store policy changes.

There’s unfortunately not a great silver bullet here aside from upgrading your app - if you need help doing that, I’d recommend one of the consultants we ourselves work with. I’m happy to make a direct intro to help get the ball rolling faster.

I got the exact same response. It seems that we have no other option but to do the migration

I’d think Expo Team would come through on something small like this in order to retain customers.

One issue with migration (we’ve been dealing with this whole week) is nothing works or migrates as it should.

Im facing same problem, while creating android/ios build after expo publish.

same problem with barework flow, expo sdk version 40. I regret why did i used barework flow

Please check this

Hi @nikhilb2

Depending on what dependencies you are using you might be able to switch back to the managed workflow. With EAS Build you can even use libraries that need native code that is not included in the Expo SDK.

I was able to resolve this issue. Posted the solution on Stackoverflow. Here’s the link:

Hope this helps someone :tada:

1 Like

Any solution? I still have the same error!

Hi @wilson.alencar

ExpoKit is no longer supported. So the real answer is to upgrade to a supported Expo SDK and migrate to the bare workflow (or the managed workflow). But in the mean time, @jeremiahlachica27’s answer looks like it might work.