Is react-native-maps free?

I would like to use react-native-map in an Expo app. To this purpose, I have created a project on Google Cloud.

When I try to activate the Android SDK, Google asks me my credit card number. I though Android SDK was free of charge.

My question is very simple: is it 100% free to use react-native-maps in an Android app made with Expo?

Also, the documentation claims that I need to upload the app to Google Play in order to get app signing credentials. But if the app is not finished (because there is no map yet) it will be rejected by the Play Store. It’s a vicious circle.

So, what is the proper way to deal with react-native-maps?

sdk is free, but api that this SDK is calling is not

if your app has usage under 200$ per month map API is free Platform Pricing & API Costs - Google Maps Platform

But if the app is not finished (because there is no map yet) it will be rejected by the Play Store. It’s a vicious circle.

There is a lot of steps between uploading apk/aab to the google play and submitting app for review, you just need to upload it.

Ok thanks! So according to Google’s pricing, I have 28.000 free requests per month. But does a request mean: per user, or per map display?

Let’s think about a restaurant app: if a user displays 25 maps per month (which is a very low number), it means I can only have 1120 free users (“best” case scenario)… In comparison, Mapbox allows 25.000 free users per month. But I’ve seen that Expo doesn’t support Mapbox.