I upgraded to Expo SDK 49, App from playstore crashes when launched

Hello, I upgraded to Expo SDK 49, I ran eas build -p android and compiled .aab to upload on Playstore. I uploaded on playstore, but app, crashes after installation on device and launch.

Note: I have never had this issue since I have been using Expo SDK earlier versions till now.

What’s going on with Expo?

I feel your pain. I’ve been dealing with this also. I added firebase crashlytics to see what error I get when it crashes and it says:

Fatal Exception: java.lang.AssertionError

The embedded manifest is invalid or could not be read. Make sure you have configured expo-updates correctly in android/app/build.gradle. null

I noticed that I didn’t have expo-updates set up as a plugin on my app.json file and then added it. Then when I retried the newly updated app, it still crashed. Next I am trying:

eas update:configure

since the bing AI told me try it. I haven’t done it yet but I’ll let you know what happens when I finish.
For context, I am using a managed expo app with a local native module and I am new to this so I have no idea what’s going on.

Edit:
eas update: configure and adding expo-updates to the plugin array in app.json worked for me.

Good day, Im facing the same issue, did you manage to solve this issue as im confused by “Edit” and “Edit 2” answer?

Yeah sorry, It’s because when I wrote the post, I was trying something out but hadn’t done it yet. I edited out the edits on my first post so I won’t confuse people.

Keep in mind that for my situation I am using a managed expo app with a development client. The problem I initially had was that the development build was working without any errors and the production build would build properly when I did eas build but it would immediately crash when I opened my app after I opened it from the play store.

Pretty much I had to make sure expo-updates was inside the plugins array in the app.json file

"plugins": [
      [
        "expo-updates",
        {
          "username": "Enter your expo-username"
        }
      ]
    ],

and that I did the command: eas update:configure which makes changes to the eas.json file I think.

I did these changes because I installed google crashlytics to tell me why my app is crashing and it said:

Fatal Exception: java.lang.AssertionError

The embedded manifest is invalid or could not be read. Make sure you have configured expo-updates correctly in android/app/build.gradle. null

So it was complaining how I configured expo-updates.

You might want to do crashlytics yourself since it might give a different error.

When I uploaded the updated version of my app, I tried downloading it from the playstore and nothing changed, but then checked later and I saw the Update button, meaning the playstore didn’t upload the newest version at the time I previously downloaded the app. I should have just waited a minute, but was confused and thought it didn’t work.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your response, My app is also a Managed workflow and my crash log reads as follows:

java.lang.Exception: No launchable update was found. If this is a bare workflow app, make sure you have configured expo-updates correctly in android/app/build.gradle.

I added the the expo-updates code as advised but when I run

eas update:configure

it automatically adds an updates url to my app.json file as seen below:

"plugins": [
      "@react-native-firebase/app",
      [
        "expo-updates",
        {
          "username": "p42nadmin"
        }
      ]
    ],
    "extra": {
      "eas": {
        "projectId": "624c77c1-015b-42ac-b783-9fca8590d10f"
      }
    },
    "updates": {
      "url": "https://u.expo.dev/624c77c1-015b-42ac-b783-9fca8590d10f"
    }
  }

Am I doing something wrong?

below is my eas.json

{
  "cli": {
    "version": ">= 4.1.1"
  },
  "build": {
    "development": {
      "developmentClient": true,
      "distribution": "internal",
      "channel": "development"
    },
    "preview": {
      "distribution": "internal",
      "channel": "preview"
    },
    "production": {
      "ios": {
        "channel": "production"
      },
      "channel": "production"
    }
  },
  "submit": {
    "production": {}
  }
}

Unfortunately my app still crashes after installing the build on my device. It shows the splash screen then crashes.

1 Like

I just check and I also got updates property with the url added to my app.json, I just didn’t notice.

Were you able to see the splash-screen before adding expo-updates? I was never able to see the splash screen for my app.

I guess all I would have to say is to make sure you do a production build and properly upload it to the google play console. If the play store doesn’t say update when you click the app, it hasn’t updated.

Yes I was able to see the splash-screen before adding expo-updates, so Im not sure what bug this is. As it will also crash after uploading it to the Playstore.

Did you manage to fix this? I’m also facing the same issue. App crashes when trying to open the app which is uploaded to Play Store.

I had the same bug. App crashing from both standalone apk’s and apps downloaded through the google play store. Following these steps (plugins field in app.json + eas update:configure) fixed my issue.

I have this same issue on Expo 49 for iOS. plugins field in app.json + eas update:configure did not work for me either. And now when I downgrade to the latest version of Expo 48 I am getting the error mentioned here: Expo 48 Fastlane Error

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.