Gradle Error: Could not load custom lint check jar file

Hi dear Expo community!

I just started off with Expo, so I hope this is the right place to ask (:

I’m getting the following error when building an empty expo project (just expo init) in the gradle logs:

Could not load custom lint check jar file /root/.gradle/caches/transforms-3/b7b081b0ef20f0808f147dd05f365c64/transformed/jetified-ui-graphics-1.0.0-rc02/jars/lint.jar

Full gradle logs here

I could not find anything Expo related to this via search engines and because it’s the Expo pipeline I feel like it’s out of my hands.

SDK Version: 43.0.0
Platforms: Android APK
Workflow: managed

Steps to reproduce:

expo init
# test-project
# blank template

cd test-project
expo build:android -t apk

The system I used:
Linux, Arch

yarn --version

node --version
v14.15.0

expo --version

It’s not a show stopper error, builds still go through, but it leaves a pretty ugly error trace every time, which is rather irritating.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Julian

yep, it started happening to me too. The first time I also got this error and the build failed:

Error: ./gradlew exited with signal: SIGKILL
    at ChildProcess.completionListener (/app/turtle/node_modules/@expo/xdl/node_modules/@expo/spawn-async/build/spawnAsync.js:51:23)
    at Object.onceWrapper (events.js:421:26)
    at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:314:20)
    at ChildProcess.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:483:12)
    at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:1022:16)
    at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:287:5)
    at spawnAsync (/app/turtle/node_modules/@expo/xdl/node_modules/@expo/spawn-async/build/spawnAsync.js:17:21)
    at spawnAsyncThrowError (/app/turtle/node_modules/@expo/xdl/build/detach/ExponentTools.js:201:45)
    at buildShellAppAsync (/app/turtle/node_modules/@expo/xdl/build/detach/AndroidShellApp.js:985:11)
    at async Object.createAndroidShellAppAsync (/app/turtle/node_modules/@expo/xdl/build/detach/AndroidShellApp.js:396:5)
    at async runShellAppBuilder (/app/turtle/build/builders/android.js:95:9)
    at async Object.buildAndroid [as android] (/app/turtle/build/builders/android.js:43:28)
    at async build (/app/turtle/build/jobManager.js:181:33)
    at async processJob (/app/turtle/build/jobManager.js:118:32)
    at async Object.doJob (/app/turtle/build/jobManager.js:49:5)
    at async main (/app/turtle/build/server.js:66:13)

But I just did the process again and it worked

Hi catlib

That’s a good point. I had the same yesterday. The build was completely flaky, failing with a SIGKILL 3 out of 5 times.

I’m not sure it it’s related to the custom lint bug though. That one I get regardless of the build failing.

we are experiencing issues with expo build:android where workers are frequently hitting memory limits. we’ll work on addressing this, but you can in the meantime use EAS Build or turtle-cli instead.

:new: update on nov 2: this is still occurring, please see my suggestion in this comment for how to get around this issue if you are encountering it. we will bump the available ram on android workers soon.

Tried to do several build intents but always fails with

Could not load custom lint check jar file /root/.gradle/caches/transforms-3/b7b081b0ef20f0808f147dd05f365c64/transformed/jetified-ui-graphics-1.0.0-rc02/jars/lint.jar

I’m having the same issue which i start getting right after upgrading to the sdk 43, when i was on 40 everything was working with no problems

1 Like

I’m having the same error.

I’m also having the same “Could not load custom lint check jar file” error in my classic android builds on expo.dev. @notbrent Are you still having issues with workers hitting memory limits?

same error here too …already tried multiple times

the same err

same error in SDK 43

same here

found a solution and it works for me, I just created an app from scratch (expo init) and moved all JS files to new project. and now this new application builds without problems.

same problem after expo run:android

[stderr] Could not load custom lint check jar file /root/.gradle/caches/transforms-3/b7b081b0ef20f0808f147dd05f365c64/transformed/jetified-ui-graphics-1.0.0-rc02/jars/lint.jar

If you create a new app and compare the babel config, metro config, etc. between the new app and the real app do you see any differences?

The fix was just deployed, the bellow error should not appear anymore.

Error: ./gradlew exited with signal: SIGKILL
    at ChildProcess.completionListener (/app/turtle/node_modules/@expo/xdl/node_modules/@expo/spawn-async/build/spawnAsync.js:51:23)
    at Object.onceWrapper (events.js:421:26)
    at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:314:20)
    at ChildProcess.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:483:12)
    at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:1022:16)

The issue was caused by insufficient memory on the builders, so if you see that in turtle-cli locally or running on some CI you might need to increase available memory. Our workers switched from 13 GiB to 17 GiB, but because only some builds failed on 13 GiB then 14GiB would probably be enough.

1 Like

Same problem here

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.