Expo camera recording black for a split second

I’ve noticed an issue with expo-camera where it will record black for a split second at the beginning of every clip.

I’ve seen this issue posted elsewhere but no-one has been able to give any solutions or provide reproducible examples so I created a simple snack to reproduce it here https://snack.expo.dev/_gU35_IWk. You can record a video and you’ll see that recorded video play back as soon as you stop recording. From my testing on an iPhone 12 Pro Max, it shows a split second of black at the beginning of every clip.

Has anyone been able to record videos without this black flash? It seems like it would be a pretty important issue for the expo team to focus on if it’s actually an issue with the package rather than my implementation. The workaround I can think of would be to chop off the first few frames of every recorded video but obviously that’s not ideal. I’m also willing to help fix the issue if anyone would like to point me in the direction of where to start looking for the problem

Hey @luke20w, this is a known issue. Some possible workarounds are discussed there.

You might also want to try GitHub - mrousavy/react-native-vision-camera: 📸 The Camera library that sees the vision. with development builds and EAS Build.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.