Expo app only broken in --no-dev --minify, how to debug?

When running my app with “expo start --no-dev --minify”, I get the error copied below. The error doesn’t occur if I start expo up normally.

How can I debug this issue? It happened soon after upgrading to Expo 33, but I also added some libraries and changed some code so I’m not sure what the issue is. I didn’t discover the problem until I deployed to the App Store and the package broke there in testing.

Thanks

EDIT: It works with minified code, but breaks again with minified and --no-dev=true. I’m not using the Expo development flag anywhere in my code.

Can't find variable: t

A
    AppEntry.bundle?platform=ios&dev=false&minify=true&hot=false:1595:1498
<unknown>
    AppEntry.bundle?platform=ios&dev=false&minify=true&hot=false:1596:330
h
    AppEntry.bundle?platform=ios&dev=false&minify=true&hot=false:2:1670
<unknown>
    AppEntry.bundle?platform=ios&dev=false&minify=true&hot=false:1594:718
h
<unknown>
    AppEntry.bundle?platform=ios&dev=false&minify=true&hot=false:1593:128
h
<unknown>
    AppEntry.bundle?platform=ios&dev=false&minify=true&hot=false:1579:161
h
<unknown>
    AppEntry.bundle?platform=ios&dev=false&minify=true&hot=false:1519:288
h
<unknown>
    AppEntry.bundle?platform=ios&dev=false&minify=true&hot=false:1518:127
h
<unknown>
    AppEntry.bundle?platform=ios&dev=false&minify=true&hot=false:11:67
h
d
    AppEntry.bundle?platform=ios&dev=false&minify=true&hot=false:2:868
global code
    AppEntry.bundle?platform=ios&dev=false&minify=true&hot=false:2459:4

Bumping this since it’s breaking my build process entirely and I don’t have a clue how to further debug. Thank you for your time

Bumping again - Anybody have any ideas? Happy to debug more or provide more info, but I’m not sure what next steps I can take

Hi @vjsingh! It’s hard to say what could cause it (haven’t seen this before), since you’ve added libraries and changed code as well as upgrading SDKs.

Does it show the same error just by running expo start --no-dev --no-minify?

Hi @charliecruzan! Yes I know, not ideal. Worst case I suppose I can try to roll back the changes and just upgrade the SDK perhaps. As I mentioned I didn’t notice until I tried to build a standalone app.

Yes, it shows the same error by just running expo start --no-dev --no-minify

Yes, it shows the same error by just running expo start --no-dev --no-minify

Gotchya, so it’s the same whether or not code has been minified

I can try to roll back the changes and just upgrade the SDK

I know this isn’t the most appealing idea :sweat: another option is to see if your current code works with SDK 32? Usually we don’t recommend downgrading SDKs but this would just be to test it

@charliecruzan Thanks so much for the help. Good news - I went through my package.json and compared it to a new expo init version. Upgrading all the libraries and cleaning some up, and just generally making things look like the test version, and my build appears to be working again! =)

Sorry for the hassle, but very happen to be out of build-hell, fingers crossed. I’m going to build the standalone and test, but since -no-dev --minify is now working I expect it will. If I don’t reply here consider the issue closed. Thank you

:tada: That’s awesome to hear! Best of luck with your build

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.