[EAS build question] APK signing version v2?

Hello dear Expo community!

We are using Expo managed workflow with the EAS build service. Upgrading seemed really smooth and the app runs perfectly. Thanks for that!

I am using this eas-cli version: eas-cli/2.1.0 darwin-x64 node-v16.17.0

However, building the apk for testing on AWSs Device farm, we got some error back.

INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_NO_CERTIFICATES: Scanning Failed.: No signature found in package of version 2 or newer for package de.myPackage.foo.bar

I talked to AWS support already and they say that this can happen when we use an old signing version for android OS version 11 or higher OR if we use a tool that somehow obfuscates meta data from the apk. AWS needs to resign the apk for their devices. Googling this about Expo wasn’t helping me unfortunately.

(I think it’s rather the obfuscating thing, as I can still use the APK on my phone with android OS version 13)

Anyone knows something about this and how I can use AWSs Device Farm with Expos EAS build?

Thank you very much!

In iOS we get a similar problem. The error looks like this:

"ApplicationVerificationFailed" with code 0xe8008029: Failed to verify code signature of /var/installd/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installd.staging/temp.KqrjvN/extracted/Payload/myAppName.app : 0xe8008029 (The code signature version is no longer supported.)

AWS tells me to…

1. You can either use the latest version of XCode (12.5+) or later to sign apps.

2. Or you can use an older version of XCode if we use the --generate-entitlement-der flag when calling codesign from the terminal OR by adding this flag to OTHER_CODE_SIGN_FLAGS in the Build Settings tab. This is done by default in XCode 12.5+ so it would be good to use XCode 12.5+ or later to sign in apps.

Would really love to get some more information on that from Expo side. Thank you again!