Bare Workflow EAS Build Error: "Verify the value of the CODE_SIGN_ENTITLEMENTS"

Hi everyone!

I’ve been using EAS build since April am just now running into this issue. My last build and submit to the app store was ~4 months ago. I just upgraded to the latest version of eas-cli and Im trying to get a new preview build working (“eas build --profile preview --platform ios”). While of course there are changes to the app, nothing has changed between now and my last successful build inside of the ios/ folder.

The actual error that I’m receiving is this:

❌  error: The file "/Users/expo/workingdir/build/ios/MobileApp/mobileRelease.entitlements" could not be opened. Verify the value of the CODE_SIGN_ENTITLEMENTS build setting for target "MobileApp" is correct and that the file exists on disk. (in target 'MobileApp' from project 'MobileApp')

This is strange. I have both a mobile.entitlements file and a mobileRelease.entitlements file in what I believe to be this exact location. I’ve also had these files in the same spot, unmoved, for tens of successful builds in the past (though with an older version of EAS build) I’ve attatched some images below which I think show this.

Anyone have any clues as to what might be going on here?

Thanks!

File structure

XCode “Code Signing Entitlements” paths

Full error message

EDIT:

One other piece of information potentially worth noting:

When updating my eas-cli, I noticed that I also had to completely change my eas.json file (looks like the standard for creating an eas.json file has changed per Configuring EAS Build with eas.json - Expo Documentation).

My old version was the following:

{
  "builds": {
    "android": {
      "release": {
        "workflow": "generic"
      },
      "preview": {
        "distribution": "internal",
      }
    },
    "ios": {
      "release": {
      },
        "distribution": "internal",
      }
    }
  }
}

and my new version is:

{
  "build": {
    "release": {},
      "distribution": "internal"
    }
  },
  "cli": {
    "version": ">= 0.38.3"
  }
}

As a follow up, I tried out a release build (“eas build --profile release --platform ios”) and ran into the same error message. Not sure if that gives any insight or not, but figured I’d toss it in here haha.

I also did a quick test doing a shallow clone on my local machine as brent outlined in /Users/expo/project/build/package.json is missing to test and see if the files are there or not after cloning. It looks like they are:

EDIT:

Another follow up, just found out I’m seeing a similar issue while attempting to build android. My MainApplication file isn’t being found, but it is there (both in my code and in a shallow clone). It seems as if all of my code isn’t being cloned over for some reason when trying to build.

Looks like others are having the same issue per The file "[...].entitlements" could not be opened · Issue #793 · expo/eas-cli · GitHub. Testing the proposed solutions and will report back.

hello! it looks like you maybe had not updated eas-cli in a while. we migrated eas.json away from the format that you were using at the beginning of august.

we’ll look into the entitlement issue further!

As a follow up, I was able to successfully build and submit using the work around outlined in the github repo linked above. Not ideal, but seems to work fine for the time being incase anyone else runs into this issue.