Can't build iOS app "Error while gathering & validating credentials"

I’ve tried reinstall exp with both npm and yarn. I’ve cleared all of my certificates, but I still keep getting this error.

[exp] Validating Credentials...
[exp] You have 1 teams
Only 1 team associated with your account, using Team ID: CJD74B36L8
? Will you provide your own Distribution Certificate? Let Expo handle the process
? Will you provide your own Push Certificate? Let Expo handle the process
[exp] Error while gathering & validating credentials
[exp] {"result":"failure","reason":"Could not understand JSON reply from Ruby based local auth scripts","rawDump":"/Users/rosswaycaster/.nvm/versions/node/v8.8.1/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/@expo/traveling-fastlane-darwin/traveling-fastlane-1.4.5-osx/lib/app/fetch_cert.rb:37:in `rescue in block in <main>': undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)\n\tfrom /Users/rosswaycaster/.nvm/versions/node/v8.8.1/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/@expo/traveling-fastlane-darwin/traveling-fastlane-1.4.5-osx/lib/app/fetch_cert.rb:14:in `block in <main>'\n\tfrom /Users/rosswaycaster/.nvm/versions/node/v8.8.1/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/@expo/traveling-fastlane-darwin/traveling-fastlane-1.4.5-osx/lib/app/funcs.rb:4:in `with_captured_stderr'\n\tfrom /Users/rosswaycaster/.nvm/versions/node/v8.8.1/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/@expo/traveling-fastlane-darwin/traveling-fastlane-1.4.5-osx/lib/app/fetch_cert.rb:13:in `<main>'\n"}
[exp] undefined
[exp] undefined

@fson - could you help out here?

Hey @rosswaycaster! We’ve now released exp v50.0.1 that should have a fix for this issue. Could you update with npm i -g exp and let us know if it works now?

Hey @fson! I updated exp and I’m still getting the error below… It seems to be happening when getting the distCert. Should I try using a different Node version? Thanks for your help!

11:55:48 [exp] Error while gathering & validating credentials
11:55:48 [exp] {"result":"failure","reason":"Could not understand JSON reply from Ruby based local auth scripts","rawDump":"/Users/rosswaycaster/.nvm/versions/node/v8.8.1/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/@expo/traveling-fastlane-darwin/traveling-fastlane-1.4.6-osx/lib/app/fetch_cert.rb:37:in `rescue in block in <main>': undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)\n\tfrom /Users/rosswaycaster/.nvm/versions/node/v8.8.1/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/@expo/traveling-fastlane-darwin/traveling-fastlane-1.4.6-osx/lib/app/fetch_cert.rb:14:in `block in <main>'\n\tfrom /Users/rosswaycaster/.nvm/versions/node/v8.8.1/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/@expo/traveling-fastlane-darwin/traveling-fastlane-1.4.6-osx/lib/app/funcs.rb:4:in `with_captured_stderr'\n\tfrom /Users/rosswaycaster/.nvm/versions/node/v8.8.1/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/@expo/traveling-fastlane-darwin/traveling-fastlane-1.4.6-osx/lib/app/fetch_cert.rb:13:in `<main>'\n"}
11:55:48 [exp] undefined
11:55:48 [exp] undefined

Thanks for trying again. It seems that this is a different error than the one I fixed in exp v50.0.1. Unfortunately I can’t pinpoint the problem based on the error message.

Setting the VERBOSE environment variable enables logging of requests exp makes to Apple servers:

VERBOSE=true exp build:ios

Could you try this and copy paste the last couple of log lines before the command fails? Please mask any private data before posting the log here.

I am getting same error. My exp build is 51.0.1. I have been struggling this for past many days. :frowning: More info: I am running exp build:ios on windows 7 machine, do not have any issue with generating apk file.

09:43:43 [exp] Validating Credentials…
09:43:43 [exp] Running: bash.exe -c PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin /mnt/c/Users/paria4ins/AppData/Roaming/npm/node_modules/exp/node_modules/@expo/traveling-fastlane-linux/traveling-fastlane-1.4.7-linux-x86_64/validate_apple_credentials “a**r@.com ******”
09:43:43 [exp] Error while gathering & validating credentials
09:43:43 [exp] {“result”:“failure”,“reason”:“Could not understand JSON reply from Ruby based local auth scripts”,“rawDump”:“C:\Windows\system32\bash.exe: /mnt/c/Users/paria4ins/AppData/Roaming/npm/node_modules/exp/node_modules/@expo/traveling-fastlane-linux/traveling-fastlane-1.4.7-linux-x86_64/validate_apple_credentials: No such file or directory\r\n”}

It turns out that I had a Distribution Certificate that was stuck in a state of limbo. It wouldn’t let me delete it and I had to go through Apple Support to get them to remove it. Since then I have not had this problem. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.