Can I implement iOS smart banner's navigational flow in expo managed flow without having to use deep linking?

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 49
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): iOS

Hi @muninderkaur

I’m not entirely sure whether you need deep linking for this, but I suspect you do. You can implement it in a managed app using Expo Router:

I figured after reading few docs that I need to create universal links in order to make my deep linking work when user downloads App from the smart banner. But I’m not sure if associated domains in app.json are mandatory for universal links. Or is there any other alternative except ejecting?

I don’t have experience with universal links myself, but as far as I know you do need associated domains for universal links to work.

As it says here:

Universal links on iOS

[…]

Native Apple configuration

After deploying your apple-app-site-association (AASA) file, you must also configure your app to use your associated domain:

Add expo.ios.associatedDomains to your app config, and make sure to follow Apple’s specified format. […]

As mentioned by @wodin you definitely need to setup Associated Domains for deep linking. Smart Banners on the other hand require a verified AASA file hosted in your public domain. And (AFAIK) navigation via Smart Banner can only be detected by your expo app via a matching associatedDomains configuration in app.json (otherwise, the app won’t link correctly relative to the path the user clicks the Smart Banner from on the website).

Of course, you’re welcome to try it without associatedDomains setup in expo and see what happens, but the AASA file is a non-negotiable for Smart Banners.

See more here: Deep linking - Expo Documentation

Hopefully that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.