AuthSession "Not found" error with Google and Facebook

I’ve been trying to follow the examples in Expo’s guide to implement Google and Facebook authentication but every time I call promptAsync I find that the URL it gives is something like{local.ip.address}-{slug}/... instead of having @username/slug, and the page brought up simply displays ‘Not found’.

As far as I can discern there is nothing wrong with the hooks I’ve written as the code is nearly identical to that of Expo’s guides. For example, the Google authentication hook:

import React, { useEffect } from 'react';
import * as WebBrowser from 'expo-web-browser';
import * as Google from 'expo-auth-session/providers/google';
import firebase from 'firebase';

export const useGoogleAuth = () => {
    const [req, res, promptAsync] = Google.useIdTokenAuthRequest({
        clientId: '{MY_CLIENT_ID}',

    useEffect(() => {
        if (res?.type === 'success') {
            const { id_token: idToken } = res.params;
            console.log('Google ID token', idToken);
            const credential = firebase.auth.GoogleAuthProvider.credential(idToken);
    }, [res])

    return { req, res, promptAsync }

Would anyone be able to advise as to what the issue is here? An appropriate scheme, slug and owner are set in the app.json file so I’m not sure where the problem is.

This is on SDK version 41 with the latest CLI version.

The result of calling makeRedirectUri({ useProxy: true }) is similar - it yields${local_ip_address}-${application_slug}.

I have also tried clearing Expo’s cache, and the Expo Go cache on my device, but neither of these do anything to fix the problem.

I am using the latest version of the Expo Go client on a physical Android device.

Never mind, turns out I have to log in on the CLI and client (and use the logged-in instance on Expo Go), after which it works just fine.


Thanks for following up with your findings, @newageoflight :clap:

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.