Apple still finds UIWebView after upgrade to Expo 35

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 35
  2. Platforms: android, iOS

Note that there are some related threads for this, but the issue is probably specific to the dependencies in the app.

I recently started getting this vague email from Apple about UIWebView, even though we weren’t using it directly. I updated react-native-webview to 7 (since it was still linking to it) and then updated expo to 35 (we’re using the managed workflow). Apple is still sending us that email. How do I find out what is using UIWebView? Our dependencies are:

"dependencies": {
    "@types/expo": "*",
    "@types/react": "16.8.3",
    "@types/react-native": "*",
    "@types/react-navigation": "^3",
    "expo": "^35.0.0",
    "expo-constants": "~7.0.0",
    "expo-keep-awake": "~7.0.0",
    "react": "16.8.3",
    "react-native": "https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-35.0.0.tar.gz",
    "react-native-gesture-handler": "^1.3.0",
    "react-native-maps": "~0.25.0",
    "react-native-reanimated": "^1.1.0",
    "react-native-render-html": "^4.1.2",
    "react-native-scalable-image": "^0.5.1",
    "react-native-webview": "^7.2.5",
    "react-navigation": "^4.0.6",
    "react-navigation-stack": "^1.9.1"
  },

Update: I should have looks a little harder. It looks like the issue is react-native-render-html which is still pinned to version 5 of react-native-webview.

I think you try add useWebKit={true} in your webview

That actually won’t work, react-native-webview >= 7 doesn’t have that parameter anymore, because it UIWebView is completely removed. If you’re using an earlier version of react-native-webview, you’ll probably get the email from Apple.

Edit: as I noted above, the actual issue is is react-native-render-html.

So, I replaced react-native-render-html with react-native-htmlview, and there’s still a problem.

As far as I can tell, it might stem from the react-native version bundled with Expo 35. According to Release sdk-35.0.0 · expo/react-native · GitHub it’s based off react-native 0.59.8, and according to ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage UIWebView · Issue #26255 · facebook/react-native · GitHub you need to be on version 0.60+ in order to not reference UIWebView .

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.