after upgrading expo, eas, having issues

Unable to see development tools, and unable to start app on simulator or my iphone while using npm start

expo --version
eas --version
eas-cli/0.47.0 darwin-x64 node-v16.13.1
react-native --version
warn Package public-ip has been ignored because it contains invalid configuration. Reason: Package subpath './package.json' is not defined by "exports" in /Users/chrisnorris/bitbucket/parlay_mobile/node_modules/public-ip/package.json
npm --version
node --version
v16.13.1

when i try to start my application on the simulator using the β€œi” option, I get:

β€Ί Opening on iOS...
β€Ί Opening org.name.VLDSports on iPhone 13
Couldn't open iOS app with ID "org.name.VLDSports" on device "iPhone 13".
The app might not be installed, try installing it with: expo run:ios -d 2D72CE79-FFC3-40D4-B5F6-1BAE17FF71D5
An error was encountered processing the command (domain=FBSOpenApplicationServiceErrorDomain, code=4):
The request to open "org.name.VLDSports" failed.
Underlying error (domain=FBSOpenApplicationErrorDomain, code=4):
	The operation couldn’t be completed. Application info provider (FBSApplicationLibrary) returned nil for "org.name.VLDSports"
	Application info provider (FBSApplicationLibrary) returned nil for "org.name.VLDSports"

i try to run that command and it does a LOT of things and I get the following errors:

The following build commands failed:
	PhaseScriptExecution [CP-User]\ Generate\ Specs /Users/chrisnorris/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/VLDSports-ckwlalfgravkvhfekxpgdesevsni/Build/Intermediates.noindex/Pods.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/FBReactNativeSpec.build/Script-8FAC1C6C3C43574CE532755F807055F0.sh (in target 'FBReactNativeSpec' from project 'Pods')
(1 failure)
Build logs written to /Users/chrisnorris/bitbucket/parlay_mobile/.expo/xcodebuild.log

I do not know how to proceed at this point. If someone could assist me, I would be incredibly appreciative. If I need to provide more information, just let me know. Thanks - Chris

were you using expo run:ios previously or expo go? were you using expo-dev-client?

if you intend compile your project in xcode via expo run:ios then the error message you are getting is a pretty common one from react-native that you can resolve by cleaning up your node installation. lots of discussions in Command PhaseScriptExecution failed with a nonzero exit code Β· Issue #32984 Β· facebook/react-native Β· GitHub and related threads. basically - i would uninstall every installation of node that you have and reinstall from scratch.

if you are intending to launch the app in expo go then i’d like to understand why it’s trying to launch an application with a different bundle id

used expo go on the simulator.

i used expo managed not xcode

β€œif you are intending to launch the app in expo go then i’d like to understand why it’s trying to launch an application with a different bundle id”

What do you mean?

can you try installing expo-cli@5.0.3 and let me know if this issue persists?

in the error message:

Opening org.name.VLDSports on iPhone 13

i assume org.name.VLDSports is your app bundle identifier. expo-cli should not be launching this if you are trying to use expo go, it should be launching an exp:// url. could you possibly share your project privately with me on github so i can try to reproduce this? i’m brentvatne on github

not sure where org.name.VLDSports is coming from the bundle is parlayvland or something similiar

it’s somewhere on your system it seems :slight_smile: this does not exist in our codebase. can you run expo diagnostics in your project and also expo config --type public and share both results?

1 Like

expo diagnostics:

Expo CLI 5.0.3 environment info:
    System:
      Shell: 5.8 - /bin/zsh
    Binaries:
      Node: 17.5.0 - /usr/local/bin/node
      Yarn: 1.22.17 - /usr/local/bin/yarn
      npm: 8.4.1 - /usr/local/bin/npm
      Watchman: 2022.02.07.00 - /usr/local/bin/watchman
    Managers:
      CocoaPods: 1.11.2 - /usr/local/bin/pod
    SDKs:
      iOS SDK:
        Platforms: DriverKit 21.2, iOS 15.2, macOS 12.1, tvOS 15.2, watchOS 8.3
      Android SDK:
        API Levels: 29, 30
        Build Tools: 29.0.2, 31.0.0
        System Images: android-30 | Google APIs Intel x86 Atom, android-30 | Google Play Intel x86 Atom
    IDEs:
      Android Studio: 4.0 AI-193.6911.18.40.6626763
      Xcode: 13.2.1/13C100 - /usr/bin/xcodebuild
    npmPackages:
      babel-preset-expo: 9.0.2 => 9.0.2 
      expo: ^44.0.3 => 44.0.6 
      react: 17.0.1 => 17.0.1 
      react-dom: 17.0.1 => 17.0.1 
      react-native: 0.64.3 => 0.64.3 
      react-native-web: 0.17.1 => 0.17.1 
      react-navigation: ^4.4.4 => 4.4.4 
    npmGlobalPackages:
      expo-cli: 5.0.3
    Expo Workflow: bare

expo config --type public

WARNING: expo-cli has not yet been tested against Node.js v17.5.0.
If you encounter any issues, please report them to https://github.com/expo/expo-cli/issues

expo-cli supports following Node.js versions:
* >=12.13.0 <13.0.0 (Maintenance LTS)
* >=14.0.0 <15.0.0 (Active LTS)
* >=15.0.0 <17.0.0 (Current Release)

β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
β”‚                                                                         β”‚
β”‚   There is a new version of expo-cli available (5.1.2).                 β”‚
β”‚   You are currently using expo-cli 5.0.3                                β”‚
β”‚   Install expo-cli globally using the package manager of your choice;   β”‚
β”‚   for example: `npm install -g expo-cli` to get the latest version      β”‚
β”‚                                                                         β”‚
β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜

{
  entryPoint: './app/app.tsx',
  name: 'VLD Sports',
  slug: 'parlay_mobile_vland',
  version: '14.0.0',
  orientation: 'portrait',
  icon: './assets/vlandicon.png',
  assetBundlePatterns: [
    '**/*'
  ],
  description: '',
  plugins: [
    'sentry-expo'
  ],
  sdkVersion: '44.0.0',
  platforms: [
    'ios',
    'android',
    'web'
  ],
  currentFullName: '@chrisnorris070/parlay_mobile_vland',
  originalFullName: '@chrisnorris070/parlay_mobile_vland',
  splash: {
    image: './assets/victoryland-splash.png',
    resizeMode: 'cover',
    backgroundColor: '#ffffff'
  },
  updates: {
    fallbackToCacheTimeout: 0
  },
  ios: {
    supportsTablet: false,
    bundleIdentifier: 'mobileparlayV'
  },
  web: {
    favicon: './assets/favicon.png',
    config: {
      firebase: {
        apiKey: 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxx',
        measurementId: 'fG-measurement-id'
      }
    }
  },
  packagerOpts: {
    config: 'metro.config.js',
    sourceExts: [
      'expo.ts',
      'expo.tsx',
      'expo.js',
      'expo.jsx',
      'ts',
      'tsx',
      'js',
      'jsx',
      'json',
      'wasm',
      'svg'
    ]
  },
  android: {
    package: 'com.parlay_mobile.vland',
    permissions: [],
    adaptiveIcon: {
      backgroundImage: './assets/vldback.png',
      foregroundImage: './assets/vldfront.png',
      backgroundColor: '#FFFFFF'
    }
  },
  extra: {
    propertyName: 'xxxxx',
    apiKey: 'xxxxx'
  }
}

Please tell me 1) how I ended up in a bare workflow, and 2) how do i get back to managed? 3) if I cant get back to managed how do i debug?

@notbrent , thanks for your assistance! So far, once I realized somehow I ended up in a bare workflow and wanted to be in a managed workflow, I decided to revert with a combination of repo step back and backup restore. Still have a few issues, but the app is back up in managed. Thanks for your help. Once I verify this is the issue, I will mark your post as the solution.

I suspect you ran expo run:ios or expo run:android. This has the unfortunate side effect of ejecting your app. If you want to use those commands you should make sure you have everything committed to Git before running expo run, and then after you’re finished you should clean up the project by reverting all local changes. i.e. all changes that are not committed. Run git status to make sure there’s nothing outstanding.

Personally, I avoid expo run.

2 Likes

I went ahead and reverted back to previous backup and rewrote the code after that (it wasnt much). However now I am receiving a situation where my app hangs on the splash screen ONLY if i am using vscode to debug. If i let the web browser open the react native developer tools, it works fine.

Any idea what might cause that? I am willing to send a copy of the app if neccessary to the right person.

It was working fine until I restored from backup and then fixed the bugs…there is no error message it just locks up.

The last time it did that I figured out that the β€œreanimated” library isnt compatible with debugging. I removed the β€œdrawer” i was using that contained that library. It used to start debugging but now its still hung.

hmmm… sorry, I don’t use VS Code, so I’m not sure what the problem is.

What do you to develop with, @wodin

I did not mean to suggest that vscode is bad :slight_smile:

I use vim because that’s what I’m used to.

How exactly do you use vscode to start debugging? Maybe I can give it a try and see if I can work out what’s going on.

Strangely enough I am using WebStorm now, and the debugging works flawlessly and I love the overall feature set and design. Its amazing!