Switching to development builds from expo managed workflow

I’m trying to convert my Expo app into a development build using expo-dev-client to add some extra features that aren’t supported by Expo’s default setup. When I run the command eas build --profile development --platform android, the build process starts up just fine. However, I hit a snag during the “Run GradleW” step, and an error pops up that looks like this:

I’ve been trying to troubleshoot this issue by doing a couple of things. First, I played around with the classifier settings to see if that would help. I also went ahead and removed the expo-app-auth module from my node_modules folder, just to see if the error would go away. But surprisingly, even after I removed expo-app-auth, the same error keeps showing up. Now, I’m wondering if there might be some sort of caching causing this problem.

If any of you have gone through something similar or have some ideas on how to fix this, I’d really appreciate your help. Thanks a bunch!
I’m trying to convert my Expo app into a development build using expo-dev-client to add some extra features that aren’t supported by Expo’s default setup. When I run the command eas build --profile development --platform android, the build process starts up just fine. However, I hit a snag during the “Run GradleW” step, and an error pops up that looks like this:

I’ve been trying to troubleshoot this issue by doing a couple of things. First, I played around with the classifier settings to see if that would help. I also went ahead and removed the expo-app-auth module from my node_modules folder, just to see if the error would go away. But surprisingly, even after I removed expo-app-auth, the same error keeps showing up. Now, I’m wondering if there might be some sort of caching causing this problem.

If any of you have gone through something similar or have some ideas on how to fix this, I’d really appreciate your help. Thanks a bunch!

Here is the error message:
Running ‘gradlew :app:assembleDebug’ in /home/expo/workingdir/build/android

ℹ️  Applying gradle plugin 'expo-updates-gradle-plugin' (expo-updates@0.18.12)
```49
[stderr]
```FAILURE: Build completed with 2 failures.
```50
[stderr]
1: Task failed with an exception.
51[stderr]
52[stderr]```
* Where:```

[stderr]

Build file ‘/home/expo/workingdir/build/node_modules/expo-app-auth/android/build.gradle’ line: 25

[stderr]

• What went wrong:

[stderr]

A problem occurred evaluating project ‘:expo-app-auth’.

[stderr]

Could not set unknown property ‘classifier’ for task ‘:expo-app-auth:androidSourcesJar’ of type org.gradle.api.tasks.bundling.Jar.

[stderr]

• Try:

[stderr]

Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace.

[stderr]

Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.

[stderr]

Run with --scan to get full insights.

[stderr]

==============================================================================

[stderr]

2: Task failed with an exception.

[stderr]

[stderr]

• What went wrong:

[stderr]

A problem occurred configuring project ‘:expo’.

[stderr]

compileSdkVersion is not specified. Please add it to build.gradle

[stderr]

• Try:

[stderr]

Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace.

[stderr]

Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.

[stderr]

Run with --scan to get full insights.

[stderr]

==============================================================================

[stderr]

[stderr]

BUILD FAILED in 2m 3s

15 actionable tasks: 15 executed

Error: Gradle build failed with unknown error. See logs for the “Run gradlew” phase for more information.

hi there! expo-app-auth has been deprecated for 2 years now (expo-app-auth - npm) and so this is likely the source of the issue.

in general, this page is useful for troubleshooting build errors: Troubleshoot build errors and crashes - Expo Documentation