sound channels in notifications

I have an app in Expo and as an apk. Sound in notifications is working after I set up with android notification channels. However, the only way to make the sound work is to go into the android device and select a specific sound for the channel. I don’t want our users to have to do this.

Here is what I have in my App.js

componentDidMount() {
         // ...
        if (Platform.OS === 'android') {
            Expo.Notifications.createChannelAndroidAsync('statusReports', {
            name: 'StatusReports',
            sound: true,
            priority: 'max',
            vibrate: [0, 250, 250, 250],
            });
        }

}

I have tried the following in my server code with “StatusReports” and “Default” as the channelId
both kinda do the same thing. I can see in my device’s notifications settings that the channel “StatusReports” is created. The sound for this channel by default is “silent”. I am testing with a Galaxy S8

and from my server

message = {                                                                                       
           to: device.reg_key,                                                                           
           sound: 'default',                                                                             
           title: expoOutMessage.title,                                                                  
           body: expoOutMessage.message,                                                                 
           android: {                                                                                    
                 channelId: "StatusReports"                                                                      
            },                                                                                            
           subtitle: "PivoTrac Report",                                                                  
         };                                                                                                
           messages.push(message);        

another odity i found is if I do set the sounds “Default” and “StatusReports” the Default one is the one that sounds, not the one in the channel I named. Not that this is such a bad thing, as long as there is a sound, but would rather not have our clients have to set this up. iOS devices work fine.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.