Push notifications received when the app is killed, not navigating to the expected screen when we tap on it.

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 47
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): Android
  3. Add the appropriate “Tag” based on what Expo library you have a question on. #expo-notifications

My Code:

// Push Notifications
const lastNotificationResponse = Notifications.useLastNotificationResponse();
Notifications.setNotificationHandler({
handleNotification: async () => ({
shouldShowAlert: true,
shouldPlaySound: true,
shouldSetBadge: true
})
});
useEffect(() => {
if (lastNotificationResponse && lastNotificationResponse.actionIdentifier === Notifications.DEFAULT_ACTION_IDENTIFIER )
{
dispatch(NotificationActions.getNotifications(undefined, false));
handleNotificationData(lastNotificationResponse);
console.log(‘lastNotificationResponse’, lastNotificationResponse);
}}, [lastNotificationResponse]);

useEffect(() => {
// when a notification is received or interacted with this two methods handle the data
// Will use there responses for future navigation
notificationListener.current = Notifications.addNotificationReceivedListener((notification) => {});
// when clicked on notification, this listner gets called
responseListener.current = Notifications.addNotificationResponseReceivedListener((response) => { handleNotificationData(response); });
return () => {
Notifications.removeNotificationSubscription(notificationListener); Notifications.removeNotificationSubscription(responseListener);
}; }, );

const handleNotificationData = (response: NotificationResponse) => {
const resp: NotificationResponse = response;
const request: NotificationRequest = resp.notification.request;
const content: NotificationContent = request.content;
const data: ContentData = content.data; const type = data?.type;
const profile = data?.profile;
const firstName = profile?.firstName;
const lastName = profile?.lastName;
const image = profile?.image;
const type=profile.type;
// data for user contact
var contact = {
firstName: firstName,
image: image,
lastName: lastName
type: type
};
// adding contact details in redux
dispatch(ContactsActions.setCurrentContact(contact));
if (type === NotificationType.REQUEST_SENT) {
// navigation to handle sent request
navigate.navigate(strings.contact_profile_modal_scene_name, {contact});
} else if (type === NotificationType.REQUEST_ACCEPTED && state === ContactState.SHARE) {
// navigation to handle accepted request from quick add
navigate.navigate(strings.contact_share_options_scene_name, {action: navigationActions.NAV_SHARE_PRESET});
} else if (type === NotificationType.REQUEST_ACCEPTED || type === NotificationType.BIRTHDAY) {
// navigation to handle accepted request
navigate.navigate(strings.contact_profile_page_scene_name, {contact});
}
};

Summary:
I have implemented functionality to handle the push notifications according to their type. Whenever the user receives a push notification and clicks on it, the listener gets triggered and according to the notification type, I am navigating the user to the different screens in the app.
This is working fine in cases when an app is in the foreground and opened in the background, I am receiving the push notifications, and navigation for it is also working correctly.

But in the case when the app is killed and I receive the notification, on click of it, it takes a user to the home/main screen in the app and not to the expected navigation screen as per the notification type.
Also, I noticed that none of the listeners added to handle the notification and its response gets triggered. And it is also not throwing any specific error.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.