Problem Generating Remote Interactive Push Notifications Or a workaround ?

Hi Guys,

I have a requirement in my project to have remote interactive notifications, Currently the project development is on Expo managed API’s for 6 months now (for the other requirements). Last week I have no luck implementing remote interactive notifications, however I can have it locally. For remote, I can send push notification and receive it on the device but not interactive. According to the documentation for notifications API’s there’s no words states that _category only works locally. so I assumed I can receive interactive push remotely too.

My Attempt was using curl as follow

curl -H "Content-Type: application/json" -X POST "https://exp.host/--/api/v2/push/send" -d '{
  "to": "ExponentPushToken[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX]",
  "title":"hello",
  "body": "world",
  "_category":"alarm",
  "data": {"title":"hello", "body":"hello"}
}'

and on the JS i have

Notifications.createCategoryAsync(name="alarm", actions=[
      {
        "actionId":"Snooze",
        "buttonTitle":"Snooze 10 minutes"
      }
    ]);

The device receives the push however it’s not interactive.

I am testing on

• Android (v7 and v8)

• expo v32.0.2

• expo-cli v2.7.0

• react v16.5.0

• react-native sdk-31.0.0

Workaround

When the application is on the foreground or background (appears on the multitasking menu). On the notifications listener handler I dismiss the remote notification and generate another local notification
with a categoryId.

Notifications.dismissNotificationAsync(notification.notificationId); 
Notifications.presentLocalNotificationAsync({"title":notification.data.title,"body":notification.data.body,"categoryId":"alarm","data":{"title":notification.data.title,"body":notification.data.body}});

It works Good when the app is in the foreground or background but when the Application is completely closed ( not in the multitasking menu ). the App. Notification listener is no longer called when I receive the remote notification but only when I tab the notification. then the workaround doesn’t work and the notification is not longer interactive. When I tab the notification. the app launch and the listener handler is called. but this is too late as I want to have a single interactive notification.

The Question is

• Can I generate a remote interactive push notification using Expo?

• Is there a workaround to make it work as expected using local notifications?

• Should I eject ? search for another react native solution ? is there a module in react native supports interactive remote push notifications to use ?

The Expo project is awesome and saved me a lot of time, My problem is I spent long period building the project functions relying on Expo and React Native, and is too expensive to throw all the work and start over using another framework.

Thanks Guys,

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.