IDFA usage explanation on the website

thank you !

Hi guys,

While i donā€™t really have anything new to add, i would like to just reinforce some of the points made here with my own experiences.

I have built a few apps with Expo, and like others, for the most part Iā€™m happy with its ease, speed and simplicity, BUT i definitely agree that more should be done to advise developers that the inclusion of ad code WILL cause a rejection if they want to TARGET or INCLUDE under 13ā€™s.

I feel this is much bigger than it is being made out to be, as this is a huge demographic to unknowingly exclude due to unused advertising code in the SDK.

I say unknowingly as iā€™ve only just discovered in the past couple of weeks (after using Expo for the past couple of years) that this code is even included. Iā€™ve never delved in to that part of the documentation as none of my apps have ever used ads.

Now my Education and Reference app which is aimed at all ages has been rejected by Apple and Google due to the advertising element of the SDK, so the only thing iā€™ve been able to do is change the Target Audience rating to exclude under 13ā€™s to ensure it doesnā€™t get pulled from the stores.

As a knock on effect, this also means that iā€™ve had to change the content in the app as it seemed a bit child-like when the app isnā€™t being directed at children, but thatā€™s another story.

Iā€™ve also had an app that i had to eject for various reasons, and that was a total nightmareā€¦ it just never worked. I literally had no other option than to re-write the app from scratch, copying and pasting code where i could, so stating that this is an option should also be elaborated on as it is a fair amount of work. In addition, i donā€™t have a Mac that can run the latest version of XCode, so ejecting is not really an option.

So, in summary, i really do think that Expo (as itā€™s their code and they know whatā€™s in it) should make these points more obvious to developers so that we can be better informed from the start, rather than invest time and money in to development, only to find that issues like this can cost a fair amount of technical and financial debt to fix.

Even better - but i admit i donā€™t know how much work it would take - would be to remove them completely and have us just import the modules we need! :wink:

1 Like

Hi dogotaru,

Can you help me a bit. Once I eject how do i actually remove all instances of ā€œASIdentifierManagerā€?
Thanks in advance