Expo SDK 49 Android build failed: react-native-google-mobile-ads

Hello, I want to get a development build in my Expo application. Unfortunately, after upgrading Expo to version 49, I encountered these errors and couldn’t find a solution.

Error codes:

[stderr] FAILURE: Build completed with 2 failures. [stderr] 1: [stderr] Task failed with an exception. [stderr]

[stderr]

* Where: [stderr] Build file '/home/expo/workingdir/build/node_modules/react-native-google-mobile-ads/android/build.gradle' line: 120 [stderr]
* What went wrong: [stderr] A problem occurred evaluating project ':react-native-google-mobile-ads'. [stderr]

> Cannot set the value of read-only property 'force' for DefaultExternalModuleDependency{group='com.google.android.gms', name='play-services-ads', version='21.4.0', configuration='default'} of type org.gradle.api.internal.artifacts.dependencies.DefaultExternalModuleDependency. [stderr]

* Try: [stderr]

> Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. [stderr] Run with [stderr] --info [stderr] or --debug option to get more log output. [stderr] Run with --scan to get full insights. [stderr] ============================================================================== [stderr] 2: Task failed with an exception. [stderr]

---

[stderr]

* What went wrong: [stderr] A problem occurred configuring project ':react-native-google-mobile-ads'. [stderr]

> compileSdkVersion is not specified. Please add it to build.gradle [stderr]

* Try: [stderr]

> Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. [stderr] Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. [stderr] Run with --scan to get full insights. [stderr] ============================================================================== [stderr]

* Get more help at [https://help.gradle.org](https://help.gradle.org/) [stderr] BUILD FAILED in 3m 23s 15 actionable tasks: 15 executed

package.json:

{
  "name": "zikirmatik",
  "version": "1.0.0",
  "scripts": {
    "start": "expo start --dev-client",
    "android": "expo run:android",
    "ios": "expo run:ios",
    "web": "expo start --web",
    "eject": "expo eject"
  },
  "dependencies": {
    "@expo/config-plugins": "~7.2.2",
    "@expo/metro-config": "~0.10.0",
    "@expo/prebuild-config": "~6.2.4",
    "@react-native-async-storage/async-storage": "1.18.2",
    "@react-native-masked-view/masked-view": "0.2.9",
    "@react-native-picker/picker": "2.4.10",
    "@react-navigation/bottom-tabs": "^6.5.5",
    "@react-navigation/native": "^6.1.4",
    "@react-navigation/stack": "^6.3.14",
    "@reduxjs/toolkit": "^1.9.2",
    "expo": "^49.0.0",
    "expo-app-loading": "^2.1.1",
    "expo-av": "~13.4.1",
    "expo-build-properties": "~0.8.3",
    "expo-dev-client": "~2.4.10",
    "expo-device": "~5.4.0",
    "expo-font": "~11.4.0",
    "expo-linking": "~5.0.2",
    "expo-notifications": "~0.20.1",
    "expo-splash-screen": "~0.20.5",
    "expo-status-bar": "~1.6.0",
    "expo-store-review": "~6.4.0",
    "expo-updates": "~0.18.13",
    "firebase": "^9.17.2",
    "immer": "^9.0.19",
    "moment": "^2.29.4",
    "react": "18.2.0",
    "react-dom": "18.2.0",
    "react-native": "0.72.4",
    "react-native-element-dropdown": "^1.8.2",
    "react-native-event-listeners": "^1.0.7",
    "react-native-gesture-handler": "~2.12.0",
    "react-native-google-mobile-ads": "^12.1.2",
    "react-native-paper": "^4.11.2",
    "react-native-responsive-screen": "^1.4.2",
    "react-native-safe-area-context": "4.6.3",
    "react-native-svg": "13.9.0",
    "react-native-web": "~0.19.6",
    "react-redux": "^8.0.5",
    "redux": "^4.2.1",
    "styled-components": "^5.3.3",
    "styled-system": "^5.1.5"
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "@babel/core": "^7.20.0"
  },
  "resolutions": {
    "@expo/config-plugins": "^5.0.0"
  },
  "private": true
}

Hi @fellasontheway

Have a look at this: Troubleshoot build errors and crashes

It’s worth looking through the whole thing, but a couple of things I want to highlight:

• Try running using a dev build with npx expo start --no-dev --minify.
    This behaves much closer to a production build than just npx expo start, so it might give you an idea of what’s wrong.
  • Try running adb logcat -d to get the logs from the phone/emulator
    Search for “FATAL”

If all else fails, try to see if you can use a bisection search to figure out what’s causing the problem. i.e. comment out half your code to see if it still crashes. If it does, chances are the problem is in the remaining half. If not, chances are the problem is in the part you commented out. Then comment out half of the “bad” code, etc. See also expo.fyi/manual-debugging

Also:

Why do you need these dependencies and resolutions? It might indicate that you’re using some incompatible dependencies.

As per the Expo SDK 45 release blog post:

It was still there in Expo SDK 46, but was removed in Expo SDK 47.

1 Like

Hello Wodin, thank you very much for your help. When I applied the above steps, my application worked smoothly. You’re amazing!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.