Cannot open old Snack

Hi,

When opening an older Snack, it get stuck on loading.

in the data loaded into INITIAL_DATA on the editor page there is an problem with an old depency which breaks the script.

“error”:Error: Invalid dependency ‘@expo/vector-icons/build/vendor/react-native-vector-icons/Fonts/FontAwesome.ttf’ (name can only contain URL-friendly characters)

Please help, how to retrieve my Snack…

Hi

Can you post a link to the snack?

I can confirm that I get the same error when trying to load that snack:

I also see the dependency error you’re referring to. The HTML of the snack contains something like the following (reformatted and some stuff stripped out to make things clearer):

window.__INITIAL_DATA__ = {
  "data": {
    "type": "success",
    "snack": {
      // [...]
      "sdkVersion": "34.0.0",
      "created": "2019-10-04T07:10:10.107Z",
      "manifest": {
        "name": "leaselabsdemoSnack",
        "sdkVersion": "34.0.0",
        "description": "No description",
        "dependencies": {
          // [...]
          "@expo/vector-icons/build/vendor/react-native-vector-icons/Fonts/FontAwesome.ttf": "10.0.5"
        }
      },
      "previewLocation": "https://snack-code-uploads.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/~preview/b9840f2bf3eb43ef363614b79a55a022",
      "status": "SUCCESS",
      "dependencies": {
        // [...]
        "@expo/vector-icons/build/vendor/react-native-vector-icons/Fonts/FontAwesome.ttf": {
          "version": "10.0.5",
          "resolved": "10.0.5",
          "peerDependencies": {},
          "error": Error: Invalid dependency '@expo/vector-icons/build/vendor/react-native-vector-icons/Fonts/FontAwesome.ttf' (name can only contain URL-friendly characters)
        }
      },
      // [...]
    },
    // [...]
  },
  // [...]
}

So the problem here is that the error message is not quoted, so it breaks the JSON:

"error": Error: Invalid dependency '@expo/vector-icons/build/vendor/react-native-vector-icons/Fonts/FontAwesome.ttf' (name can only contain URL-friendly characters)

that caused window.__INITIAL_DATA__ not to be defined, so app.bundle.js breaks.

One of the Expo team members will have to have a look, but if you like I can send you a quick’n’dirty script I just wrote that can extract the code and download the assets if you feed it the “code” part of the JSON from __INITIAL_DATA__.

Hi, a script to extract would be great!

@jochem see below:

Extract the code part of the __INITIAL_DATA__ into /tmp/snack.json, create a new directory, change to that directory and then run this quick’n’dirty script:

#!/usr/bin/env python3

# The HTML of a snack contains the snack's code and links to the assets in `window.__INITIAL_DATA__`
# If you extract the value of the "code" key from this JSON and save it to /tmp/snack.json, the following
# code will reconstruct the JS and assets.
# Unfortunately, the package.json is not included, but the main thing needed from there is the list
# of dependencies, which is (mostly) available in the "manifest" part of the JSON.

import json
import requests
import os
import os.path

def make_parent_dirs(path):
    dirs = path.split("/")[:-1]
    for i in range(len(dirs)):
        p = os.path.join(*(dirs[:i+1]))
        if not os.path.isdir(p):
            os.mkdir(p)

code = json.load(open("/tmp/snack.json"))

for path, data in code.items():
    if ".." in path or path.startswith("/"):
        raise Exception("Dodgy path")
    make_parent_dirs(path)
    if data["type"] == "CODE":
        f = open(path, "w")
        f.write(data["contents"])
        f.flush()
        f.close()
    elif data["type"] == "ASSET":
        r = requests.get(data["contents"])
        f = open(path, "wb")
        f.write(r.content)
        f.flush()
        f.close()

You’ll need to cut the part of the __INITIAL_DATA__ JSON containing the code and paste it into /tmp/snack.json. So it should look something like this:

{"App.js":{"type":"CODE","contents":"import * as React from 'react';[...]"}}

You’ll also need to reconstruct package.json, which you can do by e.g. creating a new project and then installing the necessary dependencies based on the ones shown in the “manifest” section of the __INITIAL_DATA__.

This happened to be a problem in the snack-sdk. The problem has been fixed in [sdk] Fix dependencies object modification & scoped dependency names by IjzerenHein · Pull Request #37 · expo/snack · GitHub

We’ll be rolling the fix out to the Snack web app later today.

1 Like

The fixes have been deployed to production, it should now work :+1:

1 Like

The Snacks I tried here don’t work:

are those linked to from anywhere? we don’t maintain those, they just happened to be used at some point. is there something in particular that you’re looking for?

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.