When will Android standalone apps target API level 26?

I received this warning when uploading my app for a new release:

Warnings
Your app currently targets API level 25 and must target at least API level 26 to ensure it is built on the latest APIs optimized for security and performance.

From August 2018, new apps must target at least Android 8.0 (API level 26).
From November 2018, app updates must target Android 8.0 (API level 26).

Tip:: Change your app's target API level. Learn how.

I’m wondering when the API level will be increased from 25 to 26 to comply.

3 Likes

Today I received the same warning and i’m worried!

:slight_smile: No need to worry; we are tracking this internally and will do the upgrade well before August.

2 Likes

i’m creating a fresh new app that i wanted to put on Play Store for internal testing, but it seems i’m not allowed to do so cause of that warning.
On another app that i have already on the Play Store the warning doesn’t stop me to publish it.

4 Likes

Same for me, unable to publish my fresh apk because of this warning… so, i do worry …

Hi @fraga009 and @adrazek - this is very confusing, as according to Google this should not be happening until August :thinking:

Would you be able to send a screenshot or copy+paste of the exact error message you’re getting when trying to publish a new app to the Play Store?

Start rollout button is disable and doesn’t let me go on :confused:

1 Like

This is the warning message

Hi @fraga009 - the warning should not be preventing you from moving on. You may need to do something like click on “View caution message” and then click on “Close” so that it knows you have viewed the warning, but you should be able to eventually activate the “Start Rollout” button.

Sorry this is inconvenient. We’re working on updating the targetSdkVersion soon so that the warning will go away!

I tried everything in the Play Store release section and nothing worked. I’ll try making a new build from scratch but i don’t think that will work.

Okay found.
Maybe like me you missed to complete all the forms for your apps.
My fault was about some data not completed in all the forms of google play console for the given app. In the left column of the console.

let me know if I’m not clear …

Yes, @adrazek is correct, you need to make sure everything is setup correctly for the APP. The green checkboxes in the left menu will help you.

1 Like

Were you guys able to figure this out?
I’ve got green checkboxes on all the store requirements but the Start Rollout button is disabled.

and the warning is exactly the same as the OP.

It says it’s a warning and appears like it won’t be enforced until August but…???
Maybe a bug on the Play Console side?

Is Expo close to targeting API 26?

@gollyjer - we’re hoping to have Expo targeting API 26 within the next month. However, I can confirm that the warning does NOT in any way prevent you from pressing the “Start Rollout” button. (I just submitted an update to the Expo client a few hours ago, and the button was never greyed out even though the same warning was there.) If it’s greyed out, I would double/triple check to make sure you aren’t missing any other items in your submission.

Thanks for the reply @esamelson.

You inspired me to log out and log back in again.
Once I did I got this message.

Who know payments take more than a couple hours in this day and age. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now I wait. :smiley:

1 Like

fixed in the end?

Yup. All good!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=awesomelabs.awesome.app

Hi Sir i have the same problem can i have the solution Please !!!

I’m having the same issue aswell

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.