When dragging and dropping image files to iOS simulator camera roll, image files are downsized

When dragging and dropping image files to iOS simulator camera roll, image files are downsized.

Is there any way to prevent this behavior? I have noticed that this issue is especially visible with iPhone X, and less file size reduction is observed in earlier version of iPhones e.g. 8.

The end goal I want is to copy a 2 MB JPEG file to the camera roll, and have that file remains at 2 MB size after it’s copied to the Camera Roll.

Thank you,

Hi, I’m not sure Expo can change this behavior, it might just be baked into the Simulator software.

A different approach you might try would be to upload the image somewhere, then download that file programmatically from your app’s code.

Thank you Ben,

Unfortunately, this would defeat the point of letting users select a picture from the camera roll. By the way, my code uploads the image files to a Cloud storage location after they are selected from camera roll, but the downsized images are uploaded there instead of the original image files…

Perhaps there is a different way to add the images to the Camera roll other than drag and drop. I suspect it depends on how the image files are added to the camera roll that controls whether iOS downsizes the image files.

Hoping to hear from someone on how to add the image files without the downsizing or a pointer to an iOS setting to disable this behavior.

Thank you,

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.