Warning "Animated: `useNativeDriver` is not supported because the native animated module is missing"

Expo-CLI: 5.0.3
EAS-CLI: 0.43.0
Node: v16.6.1
SDK: 0.44
Platforms: web, Android

"expo": "^44.0.0",
    "expo-app-loading": "~1.3.0",
    "expo-asset": "~8.4.5",
    "expo-constants": "~13.0.0",
    "expo-linking": "~3.0.0",
    "expo-status-bar": "~1.2.0",
    "expo-store-review": "~5.1.0",
    "react": "17.0.1",
    "react-dom": "17.0.1",
    "react-native": "0.64.3",
    "react-native-web": "0.17.1",
    "expo-updates": "~0.11.3"

I am using animations with useNativeDriver: true (for Android), but also test in web.

On old Classic EXPO Build with SDK 42 there was no such message before. It appeared after migrating to SDK 0.44 and start using EAS build.

During starting local expo start --web there is a warning in console:

Animated: `useNativeDriver` is not supported because the native animated module is missing. Falling back to JS-based animation. To resolve this, add `RCTAnimation` module to this app, or remove `useNativeDriver`. Make sure to run `pod install` first. Read more about autolinking: https://github.com/react-native-community/cli/blob/master/docs/autolinking.md

Is it ok or something need to configure?

Expo team, are you alive or you have long weekends?

useNativeDriver is not supported on web, there is no native driver. this change will have occurred in react-native-web. please feel free to look at their issues

Hi @notbrent,
The last version{on of RN Web is Jun 2021. So I’m not sure this is a problem from their part. Something should have changed in Expo that triggered this warning. It’s been stated in the RNW page that effectively useNativeDriver is not supported in web but somehow Expo didn’t triggered the warning before.

if you can share a minimal reproducible example that triggers this warning we could look into it! How to create a Minimal, Reproducible Example - Help Center - Stack Overflow

Thank you for the reply @notbrent.
I’ll do it in the following days and share it according to recommendation.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.