Versioning consistency across platforms with build numbers

I’m new to Expo and in the process of deploying my first apps to their respective stores. I’ve come across a consistency issue in app.json with the way the versioning and build numbers are handled that I’m wondering if there’s a better way to handle.

My versioning / build number scheme is as follows, major.minor.date.build e.g. 1.0.180531.2.
If I set that under “version” in app.json it works fine for Android but Apple rejects it because their version code must only be 3 period separated integers. So for IOS, I must set the “version” to 1.0 and then in the “ios” config block, set the “buildNumber” to 180531.2.

I don’t see a “buildNumber” or as Android refers to it in their Gradle files, a versionName in the Android config block so as of now I have to change my app.json each time I make both builds to ensure my version is set correctly for both platforms.

Is there a better way to do this or am I missing something here? What I’d love to see is a versionName or buildNumber property in the Android config block so that I could have the main version and build numbers be consistent for both platforms.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.