Versioning: App Store Releases and OTA Updates

Hi all,

I like to know how everyone is incrementing their app’s version numbers. Do you increment your patch version number when you push an OTA update on a regular basis? (eg. 1.2.0 to 1.2.1).

I am currently pushing out about 1 OTA update every day, so on Monday it is ver. 1.2.0, and by Friday it is ver. 1.2.4. Additionally, I submit a build to the App Store on Saturday with the version 1.2.4 (app store version and app.json version). My app also displays the expo.version version number in it. So I believe this version number should not be lower than the version number they see in the App Store.

However this means that on the App Store, you will see version histories as such:

When I view several of the top ranking apps, they rarely include the patch version number, and the published apps do not skip version like from 1.2.4 to 1.2.9. For example, Google Maps iOS app have version sequences like

Airbnb iOS app uses

I am also planning to update the major version number when the app updates the Expo SDK version (eg. 1.5.x to 2.0.0), where all ver. 1 apps are on the prod-1 release channel, and ver. 2 apps are on the prod-2 release channel. Is this recommended?

Will like to know if there is a best practice for versioning apps that uses OTA updates and also publishes to the App Store.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.