upgrading to SDK 47 makes my eas ios build fail

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 47
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): iOS
  3. Add the appropriate “Tag” based on what Expo library you have a question on.

I’ve upgraded from sdk 45 → 47 for minimum iOS version issues and my EAS build fails with message
“Fastlane build failed with unknown error.”

For debugging purposes I’ve removed all the packages with plugins and the app is working fine with expo run with Expo go.

I’ve built it with command

eas build --profile preview --platform ios --clear-cache

since the guide said I should clear cache after upgrading.(in fact I’ve tried other profiles and without clear cache… no luck)

I’m not good with iOS and fastlane but I think the best error message I can provide is

Run script build phase 'Start Packager' will be run during every build because it does not specify any outputs. To address this warni ng, either add output dependencies to the script phase, or configure it to run in every build by unchecking "Based on dependency analysi s' in the script phase. (in target 'MyProject' from project 'MyProject')

Run script build phase 'Bundle React Native code and images will be run during every build because it does not specify any outputs.

To address this warning, either add output dependencies to the script phase, or configure it to run in every build by unchecking "Based o n dependency analysis" in the script phase. (in target 'MyProject' from project 'MyProject')

Run script build phase '[CP-User] Generate app. config for prebuilt Constants.manifest' will be run during every build because it does not specify any outputs. To address this warning, either add output dependencies to the script phase, or configure it to run in every bui ld by unchecking "Based on dependency analysis" in the script phase. (in target 'EXConstants' from project 'Pods')

Run script build phase ' [CP-User] Generate app.manifest for expo-updates' will be run during every build because it does not specify any outputs. To address this warning, either add output dependencies to the script phase, or configure it to run in every build by unchec king "Based on dependency analysis" in the script phase. (in target 'EXUpdates' from project 'Pods')

* ** ARCHIVE FAILED **
* The following build commands failed:

PhaseScriptExecution [CP-User]\ Generate\ Specs /Users/expo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/MyProject-fujqujwxydilvkhidhs jwuxxlzs d/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/MyProject/IntermediateBuildFilesPath/Pods.build/Release-iphones/FBReactNativeSpec.buil

d/Script-46EB2E000167D0.sh (in target 'FBReactNativeSpec' from project

"Pods")

• (1 failure)

** ARCHIVE FAILED **

The following build commands failed:

PhaseScriptExecution [CP-User]\ Generate\ Specs /Users/expo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/MyProject-fujqujwydilvkhidhs jwuxxlzs d/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/MyProject/IntermediateBuildFilesPath/Pods.build/Release-iphones/FBReactNativeSpec.buil

d/Script-46EB2E000167D0.sh (in target 'FBReactNativeSpec' from project 'Pods')

(1 failure)

Exit status: 65

Build environment

I xcode_path /Applications/Xcode. app |

1 gym_version | 2.210.0 sak

| iPhoneS16.0. sdk

Looks like fastlane ran into a build/archive error with your project

It's hard to tell what's causing the error, so we wrote some guides on how to troubleshoot build and signing issues: https: //docs. fast lane. tools/codesigning/getting-started/ Before submitting an issue on GitHub, please follow the guide above and make sure your project is set up correctly.

Anyone had a similar problem or can help by reading the logs?

Hi @msj-js,

The build is failing becuase the there is no deployment target for iOS (this might have changed with the latest version of react-native-fbsdk-next library 11.x if it is used with the Expo SDK version lower than 47). You can see the reason why the build failed in the “Fail build” section as shown in the screenshot below:

To resolve this, you can install expo-build-properties library and add the following in app.json/app.config.js file:

{
  "expo": {
    "plugins": [
      [
        "expo-build-properties",        
          "ios": {
            "deploymentTarget": "13.0"
          }
        }
      ]
    ]
  }
}

For more information, you can see the example configuration in the the package’s documentation: BuildProperties - Expo Documentation

It seems like you picked a random recent build of mine,

but one you chose is what I’ve built with SDK 45, I believe(since all my sdk47 builds failed at fastlane).

the problematic build on SDK 47 which gives me that fastlane error is one like build 2c71a886-72b2-4e6f-9bb4-b348ec3e2211.

I’m not sure where I screwed up while upgrading so I’ve downgraded to SDK 45 and trying things bit by bit.

Since my initial motivation to upgrade was to target minimum iOS version, I’ll try that one first.

I’ll let you know if I find out whats wrong with my sdk 47 and I hope you will too.

Thanks for your support!

Thanks for sharing the correct build id!

I hope, when you are upgrading from SDK 45, you are doing it incrementally such as from SDK 45 → 46 → 47. You can find link to blog posts to upgrade to from one SDK to another: Upgrade Expo SDK - Expo Documentation

This way helps you eliminate changes from all the newer SDKs. If you have not been doing it incrementally, I’d suggest to do so. If you still find issues and not been able to upgrade, let me know.

1 Like