updated expo - firebase realtime database refs no longer working

Recently updated from expo SDK 35 to 40. I did so incrementally, and everything seemed to be running fine at each upgrade.

However I just now realized (after jumping 5 versions) that the data in my realtime database tree was not behaving as it should be. (Some default data I’ve hardcoded which should set in the database anytime the database is empty/null does not set after the tree is deleted). In other words, the database data was not being generated in response to my code - it was just stale data that had been sitting there for a year, untested.

Rather than go deep into everything that I’ve done so far, I’ll start by asking if there are any significant changes to expo or firebase that would make my old realtime database refs be useless?

My firebase config is just as I left it and everything there seems ok, and my firebase auth with google loginAsync is working well (after I delete users, they can log in again and be seen in the auth section of firebase for the same project).

//expo diagnostics

Expo CLI 4.3.2 environment info:
System:
Shell: 3.2.57 - /bin/bash
Binaries:
Node: 15.12.0 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v15.12.0/bin/node
npm: 7.6.3 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v15.12.0/bin/npm
SDKs:
iOS SDK:
Platforms: iOS 12.1, macOS 10.14, tvOS 12.1, watchOS 5.1
IDEs:
Xcode: 10.1/10B61 - /usr/bin/xcodebuild
npmPackages:
expo: ^40.0.0 => 40.0.1
react: 16.13.1 => 16.13.1
react-dom: 16.13.1 => 16.13.1
react-native: https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-40.0.1.tar.gz => 0.63.2
react-native-web: ~0.13.12 => 0.13.18
react-navigation: ^4.4.4 => 4.4.4
npmGlobalPackages:
expo-cli: 4.3.2
Expo Workflow: managed

expo has no impact on firebase aside from helping you pick a version that we know to be compatible, so there aren’t any changes to expo that would cause the behavior that you’re observing. your best bet is to check what changes in firebase occurred between the version you used in sdk 35 and 40

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.