Unable to resolve module './debugger

After a reload my app has stopped loading.

I have tried on both emulators and 2 real devives, android and ios.

The error is:

Error: Unable to resolve module ./debugger-ui/debuggerWorker.d9da4ed7 from ``:

and occassionally I will get the error, ‘unable to locate instance’.

I have tried the following:

  1. Clear watchman watches: watchman watch-del-all .
  2. Delete the node_modules folder: rm -rf node_modules && npm install .
  3. Reset Metro Bundler cache: rm -rf /tmp/metro-bundler-cache-* or npm start -- --reset-cache .
  4. Remove haste cache: rm -rf /tmp/haste-map-react-native-packager-* .
  5. Restart the computer.

Expo CLI 3.11.3 environment info:
OS: macOS 10.15.2
Shell: 5.7.1 - /bin/zsh
Node: 12.8.0 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v12.8.0/bin/node
Yarn: 1.19.1 - /usr/local/bin/yarn
npm: 6.13.4 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v12.8.0/bin/npm
Watchman: 4.9.0 - /usr/local/bin/watchman
Android Studio: 3.5 AI-191.8026.42.35.5791312
Xcode: 11.2/11B41 - /usr/bin/xcodebuild
expo: ~36.0.0 => 36.0.2
react: ~16.9.0 => 16.9.0
react-native: https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-36.0.0.tar.gz => 0.61.4
react-navigation: ^4.0.10 => 4.0.10
expo-cli: 3.11.3

Any ideas on what else I can try to resolve this?

The full error below:

Error: Unable to resolve module `./debugger-ui/debuggerWorker.d9da4ed7` from ``:

None of these files exist:
  * debugger-ui/debuggerWorker.d9da4ed7(.native|.native.expo.ts|.expo.ts|.native.expo.tsx|.expo.tsx|.native.expo.js|.expo.js|.native.expo.jsx|.expo.jsx|.native.ts|.ts|.native.tsx|.tsx|.native.js|.js|.native.jsx|.jsx|.native.json|.json|.native.wasm|.wasm)
  * debugger-ui/debuggerWorker.d9da4ed7/index(.native|.native.expo.ts|.expo.ts|.native.expo.tsx|.expo.tsx|.native.expo.js|.expo.js|.native.expo.jsx|.expo.jsx|.native.ts|.ts|.native.tsx|.tsx|.native.js|.js|.native.jsx|.jsx|.native.json|.json|.native.wasm|.wasm)
    at ModuleResolver.resolveDependency (/Users/serdarmustafa/task_location_namespace/node_modules/metro/src/node-haste/DependencyGraph/ModuleResolution.js:163:15)
    at ResolutionRequest.resolveDependency (/Users/serdarmustafa/task_location_namespace/node_modules/metro/src/node-haste/DependencyGraph/ResolutionRequest.js:52:18)
    at DependencyGraph.resolveDependency (/Users/serdarmustafa/task_location_namespace/node_modules/metro/src/node-haste/DependencyGraph.js:282:16)
    at /Users/serdarmustafa/task_location_namespace/node_modules/metro/src/lib/transformHelpers.js:267:42
    at /Users/serdarmustafa/task_location_namespace/node_modules/metro/src/Server.js:1305:37
    at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
    at asyncGeneratorStep (/Users/serdarmustafa/task_location_namespace/node_modules/metro/src/Server.js:99:24)
    at _next (/Users/serdarmustafa/task_location_namespace/node_modules/metro/src/Server.js:119:9)
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:85:5)
1 Like

I’m getting the same error, but it has to do with the element inspector.

If I toggle element inspector off it works for me

I updated react-devtools v3, but it seems to be something within the inspector itself

I’m on Expo SDK 36.0.1

Any ideas ?

1 Like

I have the same problem. Been trying to fix it for days. Tried everything. Nothing works. :cry: :cry: :cry:

1 Like

I am also experiencing this issue after upgrading to SDK 38.

I tried adding below to my dependencies but it does not fix it. I have not seen any resolution to this issue online or in any of the forums.

@react-native-community/cli-debugger-ui”: “4.7.0”,

try the following:

  • close any existing expo-cli instance
  • uninstall the expo client app from your simulator/emulator
  • delete your node_modules directory and yarn.lock/package-lock.json: rm -rf node_modules yarn.lock package-lock.json
  • run yarn or npm install
  • open chrome and clear the cache
  • run expo start -c
  • try debugging

i’m not exactly sure what is going on here but it seems like someone who works on the @react-native-community/cli project suggested something along these lines in this comment - what i suggested above goes a bit beyond that

this also appears to work for some people