UIWebView - react-native-gesture-handler

Hi all, I’ve updated my app to EXPO SDK v36.0.0 to avoid UIWebView but when I submit the app on apple store I still receive the notification of the presence of this deprecated component. In a full search of my app’s folders I’ve found that react-native-gesture-handler still use that component, there is a way to avoid thi deprecation warning?

There is an alaternative gesture handler component? It’s planned a components update to avoid the problem? There is a way to modify that component to avoid that problem?

Thank you in advance!

Hi

It turns out this is not from react-native-gesture-handler. This is already fixed and the fix will be available in SDK 37:

Tnx for your answer, do you know if the SDK 37 will be available before April 2020? Tnx in advance!

I think the Expo team plans to release it at the end of March…

Tnx!!

@wodin
I just note why @launchyoo asks about Aprile 2020,
Apple sends this email now:

Dear Developer,
We identified one or more issues with a recent delivery for your app, “My app name”. Your delivery was successful, but you may wish to correct the following issues in your next delivery:
ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - Apple will stop accepting submissions of apps that use UIWebView APIs starting from April 2020 . See UIWebView | Apple Developer Documentation for more information.
After you’ve corrected the issues, you can upload a new binary to App Store Connect.
Best regards,
The App Store Team

Thanks for the info. The Expo team has confirmed that SDK 37 is planned for the end of March.

1 Like

Seems that apple will accept apps’s updates until December 2020, the deadline of April seems to be related just to new apps release.

2 Likes

@wodin
Interesting, but why Apple notificates that I will have problems with next delivery starting from Aprile 2020? Hope, you are right.

I’m not sure I understand your question, but maybe the following will explain things?

• UIWebView is deprecated and Apple says that starting from April they won’t accept apps that include it.
  • Current versions of Expo apps do include it because of it being included in some dependencies.
  • These dependencies are being updated in Expo SDK 37 so that managed Expo apps built with SDK 37 will not include any references to UIWebView.
  • Expo SDK 37 is being released at the end of March.
  • So as far as I understand it, if you want to put a new app on the App Store after the start of April, you will need to use Expo SDK >= 37.

EDIT: As per @launchyoo’s comment, it might only be new apps that are rejected from April.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.