Stripe payment request with ApplePay doesn't create an actual payment in Stripe

Summary of Issue

When I follow the docs by expo and stripe and attempt to call paymentRequestWithApplePayAsync I get a successful response token back and no errors but a payment is never actually created in the stripe dashboard.

Environment - output of expo diagnostics & the platform(s) you’re targeting

Expo SDK 37
“expo-payments-stripe”: “~8.1.0”

Expo CLI 3.28.2 environment info:
System:
Shell: 3.2.57 - /bin/bash
Binaries:
Node: 12.16.2 - /usr/local/bin/node
npm: 6.14.4 - /usr/local/bin/npm
Watchman: 4.7.0 - /usr/local/bin/watchman
Managers:
CocoaPods: 1.8.4 - /usr/local/bin/pod
SDKs:
iOS SDK:
Platforms: iOS 14.3, DriverKit 20.2, macOS 11.1, tvOS 14.3, watchOS 7.2
Android SDK:
API Levels: 23, 27, 28, 29
Build Tools: 26.0.3, 27.0.3, 28.0.0, 28.0.3
Android NDK: 20.0.5594570
IDEs:
Android Studio: 3.4 AI-183.5429.30.34.5452501
Xcode: 12.3/12C33 - /usr/bin/xcodebuild
npmPackages:
expo: ^37.0.0 => 37.0.12
react: 16.9.0 => 16.9.0
react-native: https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-37.0.1.tar.gz => 0.61.4
react-navigation: ^4.1.1 => 4.3.9
npmGlobalPackages:
expo-cli: 3.28.2
Expo Workflow: managed

Expected Behavior vs Actual Behavior

If something is failing with the call to paymentRequestWithApplePayAsync I would expect to see an error message so I can correct something. The actual behavior is that something isn’t actually creating a payment in the stripe dashboard and I have no visibility into why.

Relevant Information

I am doing all this in “test mode” of stripe with my test api keys. I can see “successful” api token responses in the stripe developers/logs section just nothing ever shows up in the payments section of the dashboard.

Also of note, I started this process of troubleshooting by going through 3 levels of Stripe support thinking that I had something mis-configured on that end. They insisted that I try and get to the bottom of it with someone from expo that I had things configured ok on the stripe end. Their exact words were: “As long as you’re not seeing the successful payment under Payment page it means the checkout is not working.”

This is also an issue in the expo repo that has received no feedback, a reproducible demo can be found there if needed: Stripe paymentRequestWithApplePayAsync doesn't create an actual payment in Stripe · Issue #11728 · expo/expo · GitHub

Thank you in advance for any help or guidance that you can provide.

Has anyone had an opportunity to even look at this yet?

I got to the bottom of this and documented what I found here: Stripe paymentRequestWithApplePayAsync doesn't create an actual payment in Stripe · Issue #11728 · expo/expo · GitHub

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.