Starting a first app in expo and RN - should I go with TS?

Hey guys :slight_smile:

coming from an ionic background, I decided it was time for me to try and make my first RN app. With Ionic I was using Typescript with my angular apps, and it was fine for me. I wanted to know if using typescript is the recommended way to work with RN and Expo nowadays - I could find everything and its contrary online about this.

I’m planning on an app that will have to integrate Redux and Redux thunk for API calls, React Navigation of course, ads and inapp purchases.

Thanks ahead!

you should use typescript if you’re comfortable with it! the expo sdk is written in typescript so you can expect there to be good support for it in all of the built in libraries. react-navigation is written in typescript too.

1 Like

Thanks! Now, should I have to use a library that’s not TS ready, is there a catch? Should I need to expo eject at some point, is there a catch?

it’s no different using typescript here than in any other typescript project. if a library doesn’t support typings and community typings aren’t available on definitelytyped, then you can tsignore everything or write your own.

there are no typescript implications to using expo eject – all this does is generate the ios and android projects that we otherwise manage for you

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your help!

1 Like