star.c10r.facebook.com Does it send any info to Facebook?

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version:35
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): all

Does anyone have any relevant information on whether or not star.c10r.facebook.com passes information to Facebook? In an effort to protect data security, we would like to be certain in advance.

I don’t know exactly what that machine is used for, but I suppose it has something to do with the Facebook SDK.

In SDK version 36 the Facebook SDK needs to be initialized manually if you use it. In 35 and earlier versions it is initialized automatically.

Given your question I suspect you are not using the Facebook SDK, so I suggest you try SDK 36. Then I think your app should not contact Facebook’s servers.

Here’s the relevant part of the release notes.

:hammer_and_wrench: API improvements and additions

Facebook module initialization

To prevent unintended data collection, the Facebook module no longer auto-initializes when your app starts up. If your app uses Facebook login, you must initialize the Facebook SDK manually, either at runtime or with an app.json setting, before calling logInWithReadPermissionsAsync . See the docs for more information.

Awesome, thanks @wodin !

Seems a little weird that Expo only says ‘To prevent unintended data collection…’ Does that mean data was ‘unintentionally’ sent to Facebook for versions prior to 36? What specific data would be at risk?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.