Standalone App Fails in Simulator

I’ve run the instructions here: https://docs.expo.io/versions/v20.0.0/guides/building-standalone-apps.html#content

Then I run tar -xvzf your-app.tar.gz and get a payload folder. Then I run
xcrun simctl install booted Exponent.app That puts the icon on the app so I can launch it, but when I launch it just goes to a white screen and flicks back to home screen real quick. There is another instruction xcrun simctl launch booted <app identifier> but I can’t run that because I don’t know what the app identifier is. Here is the error log from the simulator:

Sep 16 12:26:29 Nicholass-MacBook-Pro assertiond[42306]: Submitted job with label: UIKitApplication:com.erytin.erytin[0x7b00][42306]
Sep 16 12:26:30 Nicholass-MacBook-Pro com.apple.CoreSimulator.SimDevice.D596747F-27E2-4460-BEC0-5E50A1985F11.launchd_sim[42284] (UIKitApplication:com.erytin.erytin[0x7b00][42306][42376]): Program specified by service does not contain one of the requested architectures: 
Sep 16 12:26:30 Nicholass-MacBook-Pro assertiond[42306]: Unable to get pid for 'UIKitApplication:com.erytin.erytin[0x7b00][42306]': No such process (3)
Sep 16 12:26:30 Nicholass-MacBook-Pro assertiond[42306]: Failed to start job with error Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=3 "No such process" UserInfo={BKLaunchdJobLabel=UIKitApplication:com.erytin.erytin[0x7b00][42306], NSLocalizedFailureReason=No such process, NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to get pid for label UIKitApplication:com.erytin.erytin[0x7b00][42306], BKLaunchdOperation=launch_get_running_pid_4SB}
Sep 16 12:26:30 Nicholass-MacBook-Pro assertiond[42306]: Unable to delete job with label UIKitApplication:com.erytin.erytin[0x7b00][42306]. Error: Operation now in progress (36)
Sep 16 12:26:30 Nicholass-MacBook-Pro SpringBoard[42301]: [com.erytin.erytin] Bootstrap failed with error: <NSError: 0x7c77fc40; domain: BKSProcessErrorDomain; code: 1 (bootstrap-failed); reason: "Failed to start job">
Sep 16 12:26:30 Nicholass-MacBook-Pro SpringBoard[42301]: [Common] Bootstrapping failed for <FBApplicationProcess: 0x7bf386c0; com.erytin.erytin; pid: -1> with error: Error Domain=BKSProcessErrorDomain Code=1 "Unable to bootstrap process with bundleID com.erytin.erytin" UserInfo={NSUnderlyingError=0x7c70af00 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=3 "No such process" UserInfo={BKLaunchdJobLabel=UIKitApplication:com.erytin.erytin[0x7b00][42306], NSLocalizedFailureReason=No such process, NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to get pid for label UIKitApplication:com.erytin.erytin[0x7b00][42306], BKLaunchdOperation=launch_get_running_pid_4SB}}, BKSProcessJobLabel=UIKitApplication:com.erytin.erytin[0x7b00][42306], NSLocalizedFailureReason=Failed to start job, BSErrorCodeDescription=bootstrap-failed, BKSProcessExitReason=0, NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to bootstrap process with bundleID com.erytin.erytin}
Sep 16 12:28:39 Nicholass-MacBook-Pro routined[42290]: CoreLocation: Error occurred while trying to retrieve motion state update: CMErrorDomain Code:104

Thanks for any help!!

Update: I was able to try and start the app from the command line. When you say app identifier you mean bundleIdentifier. The app still just flashes open and closes. There is a new error in the terminal though as well as the other one in the simulator log I already posted. Here is the terminal error:

An error was encountered processing the command (domain=FBSOpenApplicationServiceErrorDomain, code=1):
The request to open "com.erytin.erytin" failed.
The request was denied by service delegate (SBMainWorkspace) for reason: Unspecified.
Nicholass-MacBook-Pro:payload nicholasjuntilla$ 

It might be related to this stackoverflow question which says to change the exported supported architectures: xcode - Apps manually installed in simulator crashes upon load - Stack Overflow , but I can’t change that…

try and check this out for the error

It’s not running in the background and I’m unable to access the project menu to try removing environmental variables so those solution aren’t working for me. Thanks!

Hi, for some reason it looks like the simulator build is crashing on your simulator. Can you provide the following info?

• Xcode version
  • What kind of simulator you’re trying to use (e.g. iPhone 7)
  • MacOS version

I figured it out. I did not run with the -t simulator flag:

build:ios -t simulator

I was just running build:ios

I don’t know how I missed that! Thanks guys!

I think expo need to revise their documentation!
I also got same issue.
I did build:ios for 2 hrs in queue get my standalone app
but then I need to redo it by build:ios -t simulator…