SDK35 - iOS - Facebook login doesn't open app

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 35
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): iOS

As I understand from https://docs.expo.io/versions/v35.0.0/sdk/facebook/, there is no behavior options possible anymore for the Facebook login.
I would need to open the Facebook app when I click on a button so that it could directly login with it. It’s working well on Android, but on iOS it goes to a sort of browser mode. Why don’t logInWithReadPermissionsAsync doesn’t open the Facebook app on iOS?

Is it wanted ? If I really need it, do I have to detach from Expo and use either React Native SDK - Documentation - Facebook for Developers or GitHub - facebookarchive/react-native-fbsdk: A React Native wrapper around the Facebook SDKs for Android and iOS. Provides access to Facebook login, sharing, graph requests, app events etc.? Will it be implemented later? Or do every other apps will be forbidden to open the Facebook app from their sides on iOS?

Hey @davidthink,

This is a result of an iOS restriction. They used to have an option of using the native app to log in but now the only option available is via the browser.

Cheers,
Adam

Oh ok then. A shame. But thanks @adamjnav

Do you have, by any chance, some official link that would depict this change ? Because I kinda need my client to understand that but it would be more easier with officiel documentation. I can’t find anything when searching upon “App opening restriction iOS”.

(and maybe put it in the Expo documentation too? I think I’m not the only one who has a client that want a Facebook login button that actually open the Facebook app (and hence doesn’t force the user to retype his email/password, because that defeats the purpose of having a Facebook login button in the first place…))

1 Like

Hi
I’ll need same as you @davidthink but i also found nothing clear, expect in the release note of the FBSDK v5.0 and v5.5.0, where function related to natvie was deprecated:

Changelog FBSDK

But nothing from iOS. Maybe this is the reason : (?)

Apple will stop accepting submissions of apps that use UIWebView APIs

If anyone can enlighten us, thanks in advance

Bye.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.