Scan QR Code Missing!

It works now! My version was 41.1.1 or something.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

1 Like

Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for your patience!

Using Create React Native App:
Updated react-native-scripts to 1.12.0
Works on Android phone, however, iOS phone is still stuck on white splash screen. Option of updating exp does not seem to be the right approach as not something that is used in CRNA.
Any suggestions?

Hey @shoya,

react-native-scripts needs to be version 1.13.1 to fix the issue on CRNA.

1 Like

Thank you very much sir!

1 Like

It’s a bummer about the missing QR scanner, but what happens to apps published on https://expo.io/ ?

Is there any way to share our iOS application preview without sharing source code?

Edit:

Just read the part about requiring TestFlight - Apple Developer. I guess this just means I’ll require a developer account eventually.

1 Like

See the last part of the reply of @adamjnav to @atiladev:

As for having your client test your application, if possible you could share the account credentials of the account that authored the application or create a new account and publish the project under that account. I know it’s a crappy workaround but it’s unfortunately what Apple’s changes have forced us to do.

1 Like

This is super disappointing - negating a huge part of the reason I use Expo - but I understand it’s out of your hands.

Could you please point to specific documentation of the recent changes on Apple’s part that forced you to make this change?

Additionally, is there anything you can do in the client app that would re-enable the sort of live-review-on-PRs workflow you see here? https://github.com/react-navigation/react-navigation/pull/3751#issuecomment-376520605 Perhaps organization accounts that individuals could join to have access to deploys in that organization, separated by release channel? First-class support for this kind of
“review deployment”?

as far as i know there was no change, they just decided to enforce an existing rule in a way we didn’t expect (guideline 3.1.4)

Additionally, is there anything you can do in the client app that would re-enable the sort of live-review-on-PRs workflow you see here? Experiment: use react-native-gesture-handler/DrawerLayout by brettdh · Pull Request #3751 · react-navigation/react-navigation · GitHub Perhaps organization accounts that individuals could join to have access to deploys in that organization, separated by release channel? First-class support for this kind of
“review deployment”?

we’re investigating some options for this but don’t have a good answer at the moment except to share an account. i may look into adding an easy account switcher ui to expo client so this is more feasible.

if the project is open source like react-navigation, you could also consider uploading the code to snack

Apple always put developers in a tight spot even

Hoo boy. Forgive the following rant; it’s obviously not directed at you.

That’s an absurd, myopic interpretation of 3.1.4, which states:

“Apps may not use their own mechanisms to unlock content or functionality, such as license keys, augmented reality markers, QR codes, etc.”

That’s not what Expo is doing; it’s just loading a link from a QR code. It doesn’t enable any content or functionality; it implements the “load a URL” functionality of Expo itself.

Any chance of appeal? Any personal contact from Apple?

1 Like

we’re trying to build relationships with folks at apple to be able to discuss this further but at the moment we don’t have much leverage due to being a small company that accounts for close to zero dollars in revenue for the app store. conversations that we have had so far haven’t been particularly fruitful in terms of being able to defend our stance on the matter. i wouldn’t expect to see the qr code scanner back any time soon, we’ll keep people updated.

i dont run simulator, expo 51.4.0 . I dont working with send link, please help me. i cant test local

Guys chill. It’s a stupid stunt apple is doing here, but you can just use the camera on your iPhone to scan the code. First thing I did after seeing the button disappearing.

Cya

thaNKS A LOT NOW WORK FINE

It’s really a strange decision. If the way QR scanning was used in expo isn’t allowed, then no QR scanning should be allowed in IOS apps at all!

Meanwhile, to expo team - I remember I could just type the ip address i.e. exp:// ... and I see no way to do it now, am I missing something? Thanks.

This is absurd, why can’t we just type the URL into the Expo client? Why all the nonsense with QR codes and text messages?

hey people, I agree this is very unfortunate! we are just doing what we had to do in order to comply with app store guidelines, and there isn’t a lot of opportunity to have a back and forth conversation with apple on this because we are still very small and make them basically no money. we’re working hard to get some better connections at apple so we can have productive conversations with them and hopefully one day restore functionality that we have had to remove :slight_smile:

we’re going to be rolling out an update to the ios client soon that will sync projects open in development to your expo client app. you can try this on android already, or in the ios simulator. just sign in to the app to the same account that you’re using in exp. check out this screenshot – the project i’m pointing to in the client showed up there automatically.

4 Likes

First off, kudos to the team on handling the issue. As others mentioned, more warnings (perhaps in-app for the Expo client) would have been great, though.

However, I’m not sure I understand how guideline 3.1.4 means that “Expo Client can open those projects only if they belong to you, i.e. when you’re logged in to the same Expo account that authored the project” if doing so by entering a URL instead of scanning a QR code?

Loosing the QR code scanning is obviously annoying, but manageable. Loosing the ability to distribute test builds easily to testers/clients through a simple URL, bypassing the horrendous TestFlight system, is more than just an annoyance, though.

I have same problem. My customer can’t open app from sharing system It’s not working anymore. Now we quick resolve a problem then We shared email between customer and developer (Multiple Login at same time it’s work).