Running `expo publish` after I've run `pod install` on an external package

I have a question regarding publishing expo publish in a detached app after I’ve installed a new package that requires med to run pod install.

I want to use Facebook’s AsyncStorage (GitHub - react-native-async-storage/async-storage: An asynchronous, persistent, key-value storage system for React Native.), but it requires me to run pod install .

What will happen to all the current users of the app after the app auto-updates? Will they simply not receive the update? Will their app just start crashing whenever they open it because AsyncStore is not pod install’ed on their app?

1 Like

A user receives an OTA update after a new publish under the following conditions:

1. The Expo SDK version (major version, e.g., 33, 34) of the publish JS matches the SDK version of the app installed on their phone, and
  2. The release channel of the published JS matches the release channel of the app installed on their phone.

So, if you push an app to the store under SDK 34/ default release channel, and then later reference a native dependency (like AsyncStorage) in the code and publish updated JS to SDK 34/ default release channel, your app will break when users run the code referencing the native dependency.

To avoid the issue of breaking compatibility due to a change on the native side (in cases where I’m not updating the Expo SDK), I’ve incorporated a “minimum build number” into my release channels. So, my “prod-1001” release channel is used or any production JS that is compatible with binary builds numbered 1001 or later. Then, when I break compatibility, I update that to the new minimum build, so the old builds don’t get that new JS. More details here: How to check compatibility of OTA updates with custom native modules - #2 by llamaluvr

1 Like

That’s perfect. Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

1 Like