requestLegacyExternalStorage warning on Google Play Console

Hello everyone,

A few days ago I entered Google Play Console and saw that there is a warning:

We’ve detected that your app contains the requestLegacyExternalStorage flag in the manifest file of 1 or more of your app bundles or APKs.

1. SDK Version is 38 (Managed Workflow).
  2. Platform is Android

I searched for requestLegacyExternalStorage or other permissions regarding file permissions and couldn’t find anything about that. Is there a way to make this warning disappear?

I used APKTOOL to investigate the APK and got the AndroidManifest.xml file and saw this line:

<application android:allowBackup="true" android:appComponentFactory="androidx.core.app.CoreComponentFactory" android:icon="@mipmap/ic_launcher" android:label="@string/app_name" android:largeHeap="true" android:name="host.exp.exponent.MainApplication" android:requestLegacyExternalStorage="true" android:usesCleartextTraffic="true">

I saw a topic about that but couldn’t find a solution there either. Could you help me?

Many thanks

lots of related discussions already. read: Google Warning regarding `MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE` and `requestLegacyExternalStorageflag` for Android apps · Issue #12603 · expo/expo · GitHub

1 Like