Received keystore.jks from google. Now what?

Hey Folks,

I was receiving an error that my credentials were incorrect when I tried:

eas build  -p android --profile=production --auto-submit-with-profile=production

I don’t remember the exact error. So then I contacted google, and they gave me instructions to create a new keystore:

keytool -genkeypair -alias upload -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 9125 -keystore keystore.jks
keytool -export -rfc -alias upload -file upload_certificate.pem -keystore keystore.jks

"Reply to this email and attach the upload_certificate.pem file."

Then I sent them the .pem file, and a day later google got back to me with these instructions:

Make sure to update your keystores in the following locations:

Local machine
Locked on-site server (varying ACLs)
Cloud machine (varying ACLs) 
Dedicated secrets management services
(git) repos

I have a mac, and I do not know how to “update your keystores”. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

I think Google is just saying that you’ll want to make sure your new upload key is in-place in whatever contexts where you build the app, so you don’t see that error again in the future.

If you are letting EAS manage your credentials, you can upload your new keystore by using the eas credentials command and then following the prompts. Then, when you run eas build in the future, it will use that keystore.

Thank you, Keith.

I think I figured it out with your help. There are so many variables in the process though that I had to plod my way through.

1. I had to figure out what eas credentials parameters to fill in. I downloaded the old credentials.json using eas credentials and then guessed at some of the params. The keyPassword turned out not to have changed.
  2. I had to figure out that I had to choose ‘local’ instead of ‘development’ or ‘production’ for the build profile. Still not sure what to do here, but choosing local seemed to work.
  3. Once I was successful using eas credentials to upload the new config, I then found out I needed to go to the expo.dev site and into the app to remove the old creds and set the new ones as the default.

Looks like I finally have a new release in the Play Store Developers console now. So success.

1 Like