Push Notifications not working on iOS

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 36.0.0
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): iOS

Hey,
I build my app(In-house App) with Expo Push Notifications and they work both on android and iOS when running in Expo App.

I tried deleting all profiles and identifiers and keys and rebuild them with Expo. I tried creating my own p8 and csr, everything i found on the internet. But still no push notifications, and also not with the PushNotifcation-Tool.

https://exp.host/--/api/v2/push/getReceipts

{"data":{"1c0c36ca-c29e-4f70-9aaa-1ccb32c8b571":{"status":"error","message":"The Apple Push Notification service failed to send the notification (reason: TopicDisallowed, status code: 400). Read Apple's docs about \"Communicating with APNs\" to learn what this error means.","details":{"apns":{"reason":"TopicDisallowed","statusCode":400},"sentAt":1581317119},"__debug":{}}}}

What else can I try?

Hi! Sorry you’re running into this issue, troubleshooting push notification problems is always somewhat difficult. Have you changed your bundleIdentifier at all?

1 Like

Yes, I have. I changed bundleIdentifier to com.innored.cv
(I tried deleting all profiles and identifiers and keys and rebuild them with Expo)

I’m testing with two apps.

bundleIdentifier : com.innored.cv

{"data":{"492af03d-e717-44af-952f-c6a902611a82":{"status":"error","message":"The Apple Push Notification service failed to send the notification (reason: TopicDisallowed, status code: 400). Read Apple's docs about \"Communicating with APNs\" to learn what this error means.","details":{"apns":{"reason":"TopicDisallowed","statusCode":400},"sentAt":1581379588},"__debug":{}}}}

bundleIdentifier : com.innored.creatiview20

{"data":{"ef8b45b7-332c-4dad-a2e8-4ef1a015509a":{"status":"error","message":"The Apple Push Notification service failed to send the notification (reason: TopicDisallowed, status code: 400). Read Apple's docs about \"Communicating with APNs\" to learn what this error means.","details":{"apns":{"reason":"TopicDisallowed","statusCode":400},"sentAt":1581380277},"__debug":{}}}}

This has to do with the bundle Identifier sent in association with the push notifications. I would double-check that all your certs are based off of the new bundle identifier (use expo credentials:manager to see all the credentials we have stored for you), and I’d also suggest checking the expoPushTokens to see if they changed when switching bundle identifiers

1 Like

Used the expo credentials manager to remove the certs/keys from both of my Expo apps.

Deleted all Distribution Certificates
Deleted all Profiles
Deleted all Keys

expo credentials:manager

Built the app

expo build:ios

? How would you like to upload your credentials?
:heavy_check_mark: Expo handles all credentials, you can still provide overrides

? Will you provide your own Apple Distribution Certificate?
:heavy_check_mark: Let Expo handle the process

? Will you provide your own Apple Push Notifications service key?
:heavy_check_mark: Let Expo handle the process

We’re going to generate:

• Apple Distribution Certificate
  • Apple Push Notifications service key
  • Apple Provisioning Profile
    :heavy_check_mark: Generated Apple Distribution Certificate
    :heavy_check_mark: Generated Apple Push Notifications service key
    :heavy_check_mark: Generated Apple Provisioning Profile

Successfully built standalone app

I export “ in-house ” developed iOS app as an enterprise application.

I have tested the following on multi device.

get a token [ OK ]
sending message with Push notifications tool [ FAIL ]
sending message with Curl [ FAIL ]

I’m testing with two apps.

bundleIdentifier : com.innored.cv

{"data":{"492af03d-e717-44af-952f-c6a902611a82":{"status":"error","message":"The Apple Push Notification service failed to send the notification (reason: TopicDisallowed, status code: 400). Read Apple's docs about \"Communicating with APNs\" to learn what this error means.","details":{"apns":{"reason":"TopicDisallowed","statusCode":400},"sentAt":1581379588},"__debug":{}}}}

bundleIdentifier : com.innored.creatiview20

{"data":{"ef8b45b7-332c-4dad-a2e8-4ef1a015509a":{"status":"error","message":"The Apple Push Notification service failed to send the notification (reason: TopicDisallowed, status code: 400). Read Apple's docs about \"Communicating with APNs\" to learn what this error means.","details":{"apns":{"reason":"TopicDisallowed","statusCode":400},"sentAt":1581380277},"__debug":{}}}}

The “topic” here refers to the apns-topic header value, which the Expo Push Notification service is responsible for setting. It uses the bundle identifier of the app that registered its device token. I looked up the bundle identifier associated with the second push receipt you posted and verified that it is com.innored.creatiview20.

Since the service is working well for everyone else, I suspect the issue may lie with your Apple Developer Console. For instance, I would make sure that an App ID with the given bundle identifier is correctly registered in your Apple Developer Console, and that push notifications are enabled for it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.